• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fort Frederick 18th Century Market Fair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that Blue Cat Buttonworks, or another Blue Cat?

Our camp is just down the hill from the CCC building flying the white flag with multi Fleur-de-lis. Also camping with us will be Mike and Kris. Kris is the glass blower making French and English authentic recreations of glasses and bottles. We are heading up today to set up camp. I'll be manning the registration tent check-in on Wednesday, 3:30 - 7:00. Usually Loyalist Dave camps just across from us.

See you there !!

So... Is there anything in particular that I should look for or buy while I'm at Fort Frederick?
Good place to pick up a few clay pipes if you partake of tobacco,
Look hard for knapped flints for the firearms, as they are getting much harder to find..., pick them out by hand...,
Kentucky Leather and Hide has scrap leather bundles if you do leatherwork..., perfect for cartridge boxes, knife sheaths, anything where you want thick cowhide. They have good prices on soft leather for bags or mocs...

If you want some excellent bread, there is a real wood fired clay oven at the south corner of the fort nearest the road... good bacon there as well... best to buy before lunch as there's usually a run on baked products at lunch..

If you want a tasty treat, try the shortbread at the Shortbread Exchange, which is in the sutler line along the back of the fort..., not to be confused with the tents that back up to the fort but face the road...,

FORT FRED.jpg

LD

Last edited:
IMG_5443.JPG
IMG_5439.JPG

My wife and I visited Fort Frederick Market Days Friday. This was my first visit to the event. I was impressed by the number of sutler booths and the variety of their offerings. Lots of visitors in (mostly) authentic 18th century garb. Weather was glorious. I plan to come again next year!

Attachments

• IMG_5425.JPG
    IMG_5425.JPG
    955.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5430.JPG
    IMG_5430.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5440.JPG
    IMG_5440.JPG
    588.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5441.JPG
    IMG_5441.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5442.JPG
    IMG_5442.JPG
    803.9 KB · Views: 0
I was there on Thursday morning with my wife and Brittany. Bought a few odds and ends, was disappointed there weren’t any bag makers, had a very nice conversation with Mr and Mrs powder horns and more as well as several other vendors. I would like to take my grandson there next year.

For whatever reason, there were only 92 vendors (not counting blanket traders or cart peddlers) this year v s the "normal" 110-120 vendors. All of the vendors that I talked to said sales were very strong, it was probably our highest sales event ever.

There may be an unfortunate trend setting in. Of our vendor friends, one is only doing indoor shows now, two have aged out, two have greatly reduced their travel distance, & one has simply dropped out of the hobby.

I am 77 & don't know how many events Mrs Coot & I have left in us. Takedown has become particularly hard.

For whatever reason, there were only 92 vendors (not counting blanket traders or cart peddlers) this year v s the "normal" 110-120 vendors. All of the vendors that I talked to said sales were very strong, it was probably our highest sales event ever.

There may be an unfortunate trend setting in. Of our vendor friends, one is only doing indoor shows now, two have aged out, two have greatly reduced their travel distance, & one has simply dropped out of the hobby.

I am 77 & don't know how many events Mrs Coot & I have left in us. Takedown has become particularly hard.
I went to the market fair for 20+ years. 1st with my former wife as Barkertown Sutlers and later as a blanket trader. I now live in SW Florida and it is Farther than I am inclined to go for a single event. The last year I was there one of the rangers told me I could only sell used personal items as a blanket trader so I just don't go back. I also am experiencing the set up and tear down is more difficult. I only use a traders wedge these days. The other thing you bring up that I believe is really hurting our hobby is indoor shows. I can't tell you how many reenactors tell me about buying items at indoor shows and can't understand why I don't setup at their events. It makes me sad to see our hobby going away.

Back