• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to do with worn out flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awreis

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have several worn out flints. Is there any use for these other than maybe with a steel to start a fire?

Careful use of a diamond wheel in a dremel tool can re-shape some badly worn flints for further use. Just be sure to wear eye protection and a mask to prevent breathing in flint dust which can harm your lungs.

It depends on how short they are. I re-nap the edge until they are to short to work. Put the flint in leather then a bench vice. Lay a piece of brass rod on the edge. Strike the side of the rod with a little hammer shooting for an angle of about 40*. It does not take much force if you pick the right spot. It should knock a nice chip out of the edge. Try several places to get it to chip and set up a shelf for the next chip. The angle determines the length of the chip. You will get the hang of it quickly. Wear safety glasses.

Once you get it down you can sharpen flints in the cock jaws with you brass rod.

I don't throw anything away and that includes flints. As they wear just wedge them out farther in the cock by putting something behind them to hold them firmly in place. You can use them in your smaller locks. Attach the smaller ones to something to use as a handle so you can easily hold them for fire starting.

They get lost in one of my rock gardens:
IMG_4209.JPG

I chuck them in the weeds. Not worth the trouble to attempt to knap or resharpen or whatever. Toss and move on.

Doesn't take much flint (so long as you can keep a decent grip) to have a good flint for a fire kit. I have a raw piece of flint that isn't the right size for a lock in my kit...sparks well enough to catch the char-cloth on a regular basis ;)

unless they are rounded you should be able to pressure flake a new sharp edge using an antler or copper wire to push off micro flakes
DSC03195.JPG
the leather on wood is to help hold the flint while pressure flaking

if you watch the below you will see how I knap a new edge (and some fun shooting)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back