• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finishing nails for barrel pins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only job of the barrel pins is to hold that light, skinny forearm to the barrel. That's it.

Recoil happens at the breech, where a good wood to metal fit is extremely important. And when recoil happens at the breech, the whole stock moves in turn. So the pins aren't absorbing the recoil.

They are supported in their whole length by wood, a barrel lug, and wood again... So it's not like they're supported only on the ends, and have to absorb recoil in the middle. If they were subject to a lot of recoil, it would be the wood (being the weakest link) that would fail.

The pins on my twenty eight year old .58 caliber longrifle are still as good as ever. Come to think of it, I've never heard of a barrel pin breaking or bending. I've heard of them falling out, but never compromised.
excellent summation!

Can’t you disagree WITHOUT name calling AND being disagreeable? Really? Agreeing to disagree is a mature approach, lol!

There’s many way to do barrel pins, I’ve used them all and have settled on the SS pin stock wire that MZL’ding Builders Supply sells, which is similar to the pin stock Jim Kibler provides in his kits, less Jim uses a plain ol’ carbon steel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use six penny on the barrrel and four penny on the trigger guard, and Ram rod pipes
Brass pins don’t seem to have been very popular
I think any force that could cause a El cheapo nail pin to fail across its one inch length or so is going to be pretty hard on the rest of the gun.
Made my first pined gun thirty years ago still useing nails. My work ain’t up to snuff for sure, so maybe my flintlock building rights need be repealed
To which I say MOLON LABE
Tally Ho
Lay on with a will and damn be he who cries first enough.
Sorry getting carried away😊

Please read these three rules on this site. I feel many here didn't read it or forgot it.

13: Sometimes, the discussions get rather heated. Please remember to stick to the subject matter and don't attack the messenger. You may debate the topic, but you may not personally attack the members for posting something you disagree with. Everyone here has a right to their opinion.

14: If your post attacks (comments on) the poster, instead of addressing the subject matter, your post will be deleted. If this happens too many times, your account will be deleted.

15: Please keep in mind, if you get banned, the old "he started it" defense won't fly here.

Phil it,s been pretty testy around here lately...multiple yellow card,s from the mods for me....
LATELY???

I was recently foolish enough to ask questions about the stock in a kit I recently purchased. One of the participants in the thread thanked another and wrote "I need all the help I can get." Shortly after, I received an email in which the sender wrote that he'd help (that participant) and proud to! Then he went off in a profanity-laden tirade in which he stated he wanted to stab me in the gut with his Kabar, set my house on fire and watch me die.

Fun bunch of people here.

LATELY???

I was recently foolish enough to ask questions about the stock in a kit I recently purchased. One of the participants in the thread thanked another and wrote "I need all the help I can get." Shortly after, I received an email in which the sender wrote that he'd help (that participant) and proud to! Then he went off in a profanity-laden tirade in which he stated he wanted to stab me in the gut with his Kabar, set my house on fire and watch me die.

I have in the past gone off track. To those offended...I apologize. I was admonished by the Mod,s and rightfully so. with the Political section aside....we should not be at each others throats in our Hobby...there.s plenty out there that are barking at us because of what we hold dear already. Sometimes we all go off half cocked...but it,s better then debating whom is the better sport,s team,s.....with this being said I will be better in content and character in what I post. There are many on here that contribute so much of their time earned Talent. I/we? can strive to do better.

I can agree with many posts here that shooting the gun displaces the opposite and equal reaction to the rear of the Piece. I do not think that there would be so much torsional energy placed on the barrel pins as much as the tang and the bolster areas. After all the main energy is applied at the rear and diminishes slightly as the bullet leaves the barrel. as to what can pin a barrel in is MHO a matter of choice.....

I have a repro Brown Bess that is almost 50 years old, with nails as pins. I have used straight sections from R-shaped clevis pin clips in my Traditions kits. Both are suitably strong for holding the wood to the barrel.

Are finishing nails suitable to use as barrel pins? I've got an old rifle that needs to be pinned.
I have several lengths of the wire from Jim Kibler’s kits that I have. Send me your address in a pm and I will mail some to you if you want. Also can send you the correct drill bit he included in the kits as well if you need that.
Bob

LATELY???

Bottom line is get what makes you happy. If your not sure....THIS IS FOR THE MOST PART A PLACE YOU CAN TURN TO FOR HELP. Work with what you have and take it slowly. There is no shame in saying....I DONT KNOW AND I NEED HELP AND ADVICE. Ton of good Folks that will step up to the plate here on suggestion,s and advise. I cannot tell you on how many times I have walked away....more confident...and educated because I set aside pride and ask that simple question. Many Folks on here with years of experience and sound advise like a fruit ripe on the vine. Just gotta reach out and pick the fruit.

if your are hunting with the gun i think stainless steel would be best if the gun may get rained or snowed on. if a pin rusts into the tenon and years later if you or someone tries to get it out could go bad.i have had that problem with some old originals. just sayin.

Latest posts

Back