• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone pin long rifle underlugs to stock using 1/16" piano wire?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kibler will sell you his 1/16” wire, don’t remember what he charged me, but it wasn’t much.
Wire can also be had at any hobby shop that supports radio controlled planes, boats, cars or trains. Local or online. Sometimes craft stores like Michaels carry it too.

It is also available at McMaster Carr: Piano Wire
Scroll down to "Lubricated 1065 Spring Steel Wire" where you can get 12 one foot lengths for less than a buck a foot. Or 6 three foot lengths for $13.

Best to cut this stuff with a Dremel (or similar) and a cutting wheel.

I use a 1/16" el-cheapo diamond bit from Harbor Freight for my Dremel, I think this whole set cost $5.

Slotting lugs with this bit is a 2 second job, zip-zip done, I use the one on the far left.

diamond bits.JPG

Thanks Jim, I agree so I ordered jewelers saw, Now I'll have both.

Is there a problem with just using 4D finish nails? Much easier to obtain and easy to cut.
Thanks Phil
Softer metal so in theory you could find yourself with bent pins refusing to come out without doing damage to the wood.

For a punch I took some 1/16 wire, chucked in my Dremel and spun it in sand paper until it just slip fit into the holes in the wood. Made sure the ends were square and put it to work. Works fine as a punch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back