• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone pin long rifle underlugs to stock using 1/16" piano wire?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The builder of my old 36 year old 50 cal. (39"bbl.) SMR flintlock used 1/16" (.062) piano wire to pin the stock through 4 underlugs. I was told by our M/L club the piano wire pins seemed to offer just enough "spring" to offset any moisture expansion/contraction in the stock (maple) over time. The underlugs have a single drilled 1/16" hole...I removed the pins to check for under barrel rust of which there was none, and no problems with stock and pins were not rusted. Obviously the piano wire worked. The rifle may have been fired a few hundred times. I re-installed the piano wire pins after minor cleaning. I only question this because I had never known anyone to use piano wire to pin a barrel to stock? Thoughts?

I know this wire as "music wire"
Piano wire - Wikipedia

Piano wire, or "music wire", is a specialized type of wire made for use in piano strings but also in other applications as springs. It is made from tempered high-carbon steel, also known as spring steel, which replaced iron as the material starting in 1834. Piano wire has a very high tensile strength.

Longitudinal shrinkage in most woods is in the .1-.2% range.
This may be true, but not the full story... Curly wood does not apply. Since the grain is wavy, there is a higher percentage of non-longitudinal wood along the forestock. Also, even in plain wood there are few stock blanks where the grain runs perfectly parallel to the barrel. Any deviation from this imparts a percentage of extra expansion / contraction with changes in humidity.

This isn't just theory, it's seen all the time with these guns. So slot those underlugs!

i would suggest using a jewlers saw. The problem with just using a file is that it's a bit tedious and there is the tendency to not slot enough. On the forward lug I would slot at least a full pin diameter for and aft of the original hole. I've seen some that just file it a touch or try to elongate the hole with a drill bit etc. In some pieces of wood, this may be sufficient, but it's not safe for all wood.

My kit gun from TVM in Mississippi has these. Barrel was installed in stock. My question - how the heck do you punch out such a small pin? I can hardly see them in the wood.
You could use another section of the wire, but I found a tiny Allen wrench which works nicely, w/out enlarging the hole in the stock. I had problems w/ a formal pin punch doing that.

Latest posts

Back