• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found a rifle in the mail!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got this one from t he bargain basement. .54cal. 44" Getz barrel. Signed SRB. No idea who that is, but after a little work, it is a nice rifle. Probably from the 80s or 90s. I replaced the two front barrel pins where some yoyo had used finishing nails to try to replace the 1/16" originals. He missed the holes in the lugs(the nail went under them) and left them sticking out with the wood slightly bent. Even left the heads on them. I also replaced the hammer on the lock. The builder used a normal Siler cock on a Deluxe Siler plate. It will work but not well. I robbed a cock from a deluxe lock in my stash. Also removed those beads. I might replace the frizzen after test firing it. More pics as the spirit moves me.

IMG_0278.jpgIMG_0277.JPG

Last edited:
Just got this one. .54cal. 44" Getz barrel. Signed SRB. No idea who that is, but after a little work, it is a nice rifle. Probably from the 80s or 90s. I replaced the two front barrel pins where some yoyo had used finishing nails to try to replace the 1/16" originals. He missed the holes in the lugs(the nail went under them) and left them sticking out with the wood slightly bent. Even left the heads on them. I also replaced the hammer on the lock. The builder used a normal Siler cock on a Deluxe Siler plate. It will work but not well. I robbed a cock from a deluxe lock in my stash. Also removed those beads. I might replace the frizzen after test firing it. More pics as the spirit moves me.

View attachment 298615View attachment 298616
First three shots out of the old gun. Lock is fast with the new cock.
IMG_0300.jpeg

50yds. benched. .526 ball with 85gr. 2F. I always shoot at 50. Any rifle will shoot a cloverleaf at 25yds. I use the tape cross because it gives a good sighting reference both axes.

More pics. The top picture is the new, correct hammer and bottom picture is the old one from a standard Siler. Notice how the bottom jaw almost hits the fence. Notice also where the flint will end up with the old hammer.
IMG_0298.jpg.

IMG_0286.jpg

Last edited:
Fine rifle EC121. In the mid 1970's , until about 1988 , shot competition w/ a 44" .50 cal. Getz barreled longrifle. It was a privilege to build and shoot such a basic fine accurate longrifle. Eventually , I had to build a lighter rifle , as time marched on , built , and hunted w/ three different cal. Jager rifles , and as things go , with failing eye sight , back to a 38" Colerain .50 cal , w/ peep sight. At least now I can see the sights and the target , clearly enough to practice off the bench at 75 yds.. Practice , practice , practice.

Just got this one from t he bargain basement. .54cal. 44" Getz barrel. Signed SRB. No idea who that is, but after a little work, it is a nice rifle. Probably from the 80s or 90s. I replaced the two front barrel pins where some yoyo had used finishing nails to try to replace the 1/16" originals. He missed the holes in the lugs(the nail went under them) and left them sticking out with the wood slightly bent. Even left the heads on them. I also replaced the hammer on the lock. The builder used a normal Siler cock on a Deluxe Siler plate. It will work but not well. I robbed a cock from a deluxe lock in my stash. Also removed those beads. I might replace the frizzen after test firing it. More pics as the spirit moves me.

View attachment 298615View attachment 298616
Very Nice …. 🙌

Work of art, EC121! BTW, with that username, you must have been a VQ guy. TD2 here. Our base hosted a detachment of VQ2 with their double bubble Connie. The hotpad guys would go out and strap into their alert 5s whenever Willie Victor took off. The plane captains would run a betting pool on how long before the scramble call came in.

I was a ratech on USAF Connies based out of McClellan AFB. We had 60 day TDYs in Korea, Thailand, and Iceland.
DEW, AWACS, or ELINT? One of my uncles was a flight electrician on DEW Connies out of Otis, early days. Said they made a lot of three engine landings back in the day. I know our Willie Victor sure did. Never much liked Wright engines myself.

The rifle is a beauty! The carving and engraving make it a real showpiece, and it’s a shooter, too. You can’t beat that!

My guess is that it must have passed through several hands on its way to @EC121 . The wonky barrel pins and random assortment of trade beads suggest a previous owner who didn’t understand or didn’t appreciate what he had.

I also find the leather case interesting. Some of the painted artwork is a little over the top for my taste, but the basic design and construction suggest a thoughtful and careful craftsman. The lacing is very neatly done, and he went to the expense and trouble of cutting long, narrow fringes.

You scored a good deal there, my friend.

Notchy Bob

DEW, AWACS, or ELINT? One of my uncles was a flight electrician on DEW Connies out of Otis, early days. Said they made a lot of three engine landings back in the day. I know our Willie Victor sure did. Never much liked Wright engines myself.
We were DEW. The mission was to extend the land-based radar in the early days, but missiles made that irrelevant for the continental US. Then it changed to TDYs into conflict zones to look for the bad guys and, if needed, vector fighters to them. We also carried radio intercept intel guys from another group when overseas. We called them "the Secret Squirrels" from the cartoon show. I got sent to Otis out of tech school, and when we arrived the wing was closed and gone. They didn't tell the school. We got reassigned to McClellan in Cal. We were always shutting down engines to save them. Once we shut down two. To be prepared for a go-around the engineer would start them up to land.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back