• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A blind man can assemble and finish a Kibler Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
The Braintree Hill shop is really busy but today I spent some time helping my friend Josh. Some of you may remember our thread "Building Blind". Jim and Katherine Kibler offered Josh a good deal on a Woodsrunner kit so he could see if he could finish it mostly on his own. The answer is, he can but there are a few details for which he needs some help. Rich Pierce and I are providing the guidance and help. Josh came over today and I helped him through some tasks. I only did a few tasks for him, which I will describe, but helped him figure out ways to work independently without sight. He wanted me to help him cut and make make the barrel and pipe pins. The first issue was the slots on the barrel lugs did not permit the 1/16" pin stock to pass through. They were too tight and also had chips of metal from the milling blocking the slot. I had Josh file the slots a little wider and cleaned out the metal chips. He did the task and then we set to fitting the pins. All the pins are 1/16" and the pin holes in the stock are very hard for josh to detect. Josh prefers to remove the barrel for cleaning because of he has better success cleaning barrel by pumping water up and down than just using patches to swab the bore. So we had to figure out a way for this to work. We solved the problem with two fixes. First, we ground the pins a littl short so when tapped in flush with one side of the stock, they are recessed in a shallow hole on the other side. That hole guides Josh's pin punch when tapping out the pin. Secondly, Josh had trouble feeling the small 1/16" holes. So I suggested let's slightly counter sink the holes on both sides of the stock so he could feel the depression and not confuse it with the holes for the ramrod pipes. That worked very well and is barely noticeable.

For practice, I had Josh drill each barrel lug hole keeping the drill level, perpendicular with the stock and let the drill be guided by the existing hole. He did this very well. I had to reacquaint him with techniques we developed for his previous rifle. It as been a long while since he did that work.

We had to figure a way he could measure the length of the pins. I suggested using tape that he could feel. That worked.

He then used the tape to mark where to cut the pin. Next up for today was to clean up the trigger guard and ramrod pipes, which he did nicely. Without sight it is difficult to file every detail but with a little guidance and the right tools, he did very well. Next was peening over the screws holding on the muzzle cap. He needed to use a ball peen hammer but had trouble consistently hitting the end of the screws. We worked it out such that if he huddled close over the work, he could accurately peen the screws.

It worked very well. Next up, he wanted to install a back plate on the patch box lid. You see so many Colonial and Woodsrunner assemblers not doing that but Josh, a blind man, wanted to do it. So I set him up to file the end of the lid so the thickness of brass clears the spring catch. He did very well.

I had to file the dovetails in the brass end and mount the anchoring screws but Josh did all the rest of the fitting and shaping.

It came out very well.

dave

Didn't actually read the thread did ya?
Hi,
Please don't descend this thread into asperity. Mike did not mean anything derogatory only that the Kibler kits are easy to assemble and finish. He understands very well the challenge of a blind man to complete this gun and that is the only thing any of you should be focussing on. Don't start some ridiculous fight, please.

dave

Hi,
Please don't descend this thread into asperity. Mike did not mean anything derogatory only that the Kibler kits are easy to assemble and finish. He understands very well the challenge of a blind man to complete this gun and that is the only thing any of you should be focussing on. Don't start some ridiculous fight, please.

dave
That was not my intent I assure you. I have come to appreciate Mr. Brooks and will edit that post so that doesn't happen.

Hi,

dave
Actually I didn't know the guy was blind . That's quite an accomplishment. Bravo!

Call me a novice, but I can't figure out how to add the brass end cap to the patch box lid while maintaining the contour of the lid. How is it done?
It's an optional task, but you can do a search in this forum on Woodsrunner builds where folks went into detail about adding the brass, also I think theres a youtube video on adding it.

never again will i whine of my disabilities. I am humbled and awe stricken.

I know of a lady pilot who has no arms. No ADA equipment is approved for installation in aircraft, so she manipulates (pedipulates?) all the necessary controls with her feet. I think about her spirit, grit, and determination any time I get discouraged by a challenge. Now I will also think of Josh's will, particularly when building longrifles.

Latest posts

Back