• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Colt Black Powder Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of the large number of C&B replica revolvers hanging on my gunroom wall only the CVA Walker and the Uberty 1860 Army shoot to the point of aim at 25 yards.
The Walker is just too darn heavy to use for much.

All of these guns are as they were in the Civil War, that is, no adjustable sights. The Remingtons (.36 and .44) the Whitney .36, the Rogers & Spencer .44 and the Spiller & Burr .36 all shoot about 6 inches high at 25 yards even though they are closed framed guns with a better sighting system than the Colts.

Interesting - we had to put a .4" tall blade on the Uberti 1860 to get it to shoot centre at 25yds. It consistantly shoots into 1" off the bags, though.
Daryl

The only cap and ball revolver I have now is a 3rd Moled dragoon with an 18" barrel and detachable sholder stock. I haven't shot it in years but it is one of my faverate guns. I realy like the balance of the 1860 army and am interested in the Paterson because it was the first colt made. I would like you guys thoughs on the Paterson at pre-1840 events, do you think they should be allow or not and why. Thanks, Jim

Of all the revolvers I have ever shot the 1851 Navy to me is the best gun for becoming a part of my hand for fast point and shoot style shooting, there were revolvers in the 1820's ( flintlock Collier) and I saw a mention of a "six times repeating gun" in an 18th century gunmakers estate records, many rules at events cannot be justified by history.

Wal, lemme see now. Pre 1840s eh?
Wal, iffen the child was from Texas he mite a had a Patterson.
From what Ah sees, ole Colt wer makin a few .31s tween 1836 and 1840 but tha first Ah am a seein whar a number o the .36 cal wer sold was ta Texas.
"*C*O*L*T* AN AMERICAN LEGEND" Sesquicentennial Edition on page 18 says"

"The best patron of Colt Patersons proved to be the Republic of Texas. From 1839 to 1841, officials acquired a total of 180 No. 5 Holster pistols, 100 Ring Lever Rifles, and 180 Model 1839 Carbines. Just how many more were privately purchased for use by civilians and individual officers and soldiers is unknown..."

Coulda been a few around, then maybe not. Ah warn't thar so's Ah kan't tell ye personal like who owned waht.

1. the 1860 Army I trimed back to 51/2 inches so that it balences like a .36 (not an origional of course)
2. any .36 Navy converted to any .38 centerfire ctg.
3. any .36 Navy Colt pattern or copy

Jim-

"the Paterson at pre-1840 events"

This is one of those tough questions of reinactors. And the first part of the answer is...depends on the event, and who was there!

Generally speaking, Colt had three main types of customers in the Patterson years: the Texas Rangers, the U.S. Navy and rich guys. If the reinactment has none of these folks at it, then there would be little chance of a Patterson pistol, rifle or shotgun being there!

Now at a regular rendevous - hell, why not! In fact I would like all of the Paterson shooters to jump in on the pistol shooting contests at a local rendevous! Since I shoot both a single shot and a Patterson, well the Patterson crowd will need their own catagory, or a hell of a handicap scoring system. :D

I had a gunsmith friend of mine manufacture and install taller, blade, front sights on two 1860 armies. I filed them in to shoot to point of aim at 25 yards and they were certainly capable of 2-2/12 in. groups...and a lot more fun to shoot! Period correct, perhaps not, but the change seems so obvious as to not have been done way back when. I kept the best shooter and sold the other. I had a Walker a long time ago and the rammer did definitely drop down and lock up the cylinder about every other shot. It was quite accurate tho and the only percussion revolver I ever owned that shot to point of aim out of the box. I sold it too.....I discovered I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

Vic

As I recall, my first mentor in BP, back in 1964, used to refer to the 1860 Army with the full-fluted cylinder as the "Wade Hampton". Am I remembering right or are the years getting to my brain cells? :confused:

Old Coot

I'll play the way to heavy and pain to shoot 1847 Walker, had 4 of them and hate that loading rod falling but like the rest. Its real fun shooting steel plates with my brother and his 9mm that he has to shoot twice to knock over to my 1 shot. :rotf: Second is Navy Arms short round barrel Navy 44, Ive shot it for i dont know how many years, broke the cyl stop after 1000 shots maybe, I never blued it just polished the rust for years then put oil on, its smooth as silk and you cant read a word that was on it. Looks very old and shoots like new. Fred :hatsoff:

It's the Walker for me!

That dropping loading lever is nothing that can't be sorted by a bit of leather thong!

Coot, your'e probably aware that Wade Hampton was the famous South Carolina cavalry commander during the War Between the States. He never lost any fight and was appointed by R.E. Lee to command the cavalry after J.E.B. Stuart was killed. He whipped Phil Sheridan badly despite being outnumbered and outgunned, the Union troopers had repeaters which the Southeners did not. I did not know that the '60 Army had a connection to him tho.
Could you expound on this? Hampton was one of the best the South had, right up there with Forrest and Jackson.
Thanks for any info. I do know he carried a revolver(s) as well as a large sword into battle.

Hmmmm... Maybe it was the 1861 Navy. All I remember is the streamlined silohuete (sp.?) and the full fluted cylinder which I thought was unusual since all I was familiar with were the half fluted like the Peacemaker.

Remember this was a long time ago.

I was hoping that someone on the forum would have more info.

Old Coot

1851 navy . I had two Italian repros (Navy Arms , if I remember right) back in the '70's . Got hard up for money and had to sell them :( .

Musketman, You sure got a good response to your question!!!

My favorites:

1st. 1851 Navy (surprised it didn't get more
votes)
2nd. 1860 Army (a close 2nd)
3rd. Any of the dragoons
4th. Walker (for makin' lotsa noise and smoke)
5th. 1862 Police (just for downright pretty)

You live within spitting distance of Pymatuning; lucky you if you're a fisherman.

Dryball

I like the 1847 walker. Made a leather thong(like the calvery soldiers did)that slips on and off the loading lever with no problem.With 40 grains of 3f pyrodex,wad and 454 round ball,this revolver destroys everything in site.
I also like the 1858 remington.With extra cylinders already made up, You can reload faster then a modern revolver.
Last would be the Great
plains pistol, 54 caliber, ML. My little minnie canon.

Latest posts

Back