• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Colt Black Powder Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my favorite - Colt Colt 1861 Navy .36
S4020018-1.jpg

I vote for the 1861 Uberti, I have two, very accurate, shoot to point of aim, and economical to shoot as well. I also have 1 Rem. 58 Pietta in .36 and 1 Rem. 58 Uberti in .36 as well. The Remmies are good guns but I like the 61s more better.

Another vote for the 1851 Navy. I purchased it because of its crossover reenactment possibilities:

Dixie Gun Works:
"The 1851 Navy was one of the most popular handguns in the Colt line and became the favorite of soldiers in the Civil War. After the war, this revolver helped tame the Western frontier in the hands of cattlemen, scouts, lawmen, and their antagonist."

Quite a nice collection! My vote is for the Walker...last month at a gong shoot I hit the 135 yd. gong with my Walker, 50 gr. FFFg, a wonder wad over the powder and a .454 RB on top of the wonder-wad. Shoots about 6.5 inches high at 25 yds. and almost to point of aim at 100 yds. In BP league competition it beats a bunch of guns with adjustable sights quite often...even got me a turkey last November :thumbsup:

I have several, an 1851 Navy, 1860 Army, and recently purchased a 3rd Model Dragoon. The dragoon is definitely my favorite. It fills my hand, is very accurate with stout loads and it just fits. But then I have always favored large revolvers!

I'm going to have to say the 1860 Army. 1. Cause it's the only one I have and 2. I like how the barrel is cut. A lot less blocky then the older ones.

Frost

This is one of my all-time favorites (besides my 1860 Army). I've had (parts of) it for more than fifteen years, and it never fails to deliver. I call it my "Tuco Special" since it's made up from parts from several different pistols. I have used this pistol to practice my gunsmithing, fast draw, fanning, reverse draw, etc., etc. I extended the front sight with brass rod and lowered the rear sight using a hacksaw, so that it now shoots POA at 25 yards; and after all I've put it through, it's still a solid performer. I highly recommend a "Beater" to anyone who doesn't want to booger up their Sig Series learning gunplay and pistol maintenance.

Oldie.jpg

I aged and distressed my '60 Army Sig series and removed the signature from the backstrap. I use it as a beater and it looks much better in this condition than it ever did in original condition. It's actually a very accurate revolver and one of my favorites.

650.jpg

I shoot the 2nd model every chance I get. I display the 3rd Model Signature.

I own, and shoot:

Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon
Colt Signature 3rd Model Dragoon
Pietta Remington 1858 New Navy
Pietta Colt 1851 Navy
Pietta Colt 1860 Army
Uberti Colt 1873 Single Action Army (in bp config)
Pietta Starr Single Action
Euroarms Rogers & Spencer
Uberti Colt 1862 Police

Plus several single shot pistols, rifles and shotguns, but you didn't ask about those.

Tough decision. I thought nothing could ever be better than the 1851, but then I got the 1860. I like the feel of the "51" a tad bit better, but the "60" it seems a lot more modern and user friendly. I guess I'd say the 1860 is the pick of the litter. Both are in .44. I have a "1851"? in .32 also. Pahaska

Russ T Frizzen said:
I aged and distressed my '60 Army Sig series and removed the signature from the backstrap. I use it as a beater and it looks much better in this condition than it ever did in original condition. It's actually a very accurate revolver and one of my favorites.
To each their own... I, personally, would rather beat up my $89 Pietta than my $400 - $500 Sig Series guns, but that's just me! Hows about a pic of this "beater" Sig '60?

J.S. on the lower left of the recoil sheild there is a relief cut. What function? busted cap drop or shoulder stock catch?

Russ T,
Ummm - that link is an e-mail address?

Blizzard,
That's a shoulder stock cut-out. The frame and grip are the only parts left of the original '60 Army. The cylinder, hammer and barrel were swapped out from various other guns over the years. The newest part is the loading lever, which I replaced about six months ago when the old latch failed on me.
Very interesting to shoot with the Army grip and Navy barrel; a real solid pointer.
(BTW, if you liked the Blizzard of '93, you should have been here for the Blizzard of 'o6. Two weekends in a row in December, and some folks are still digging out...)

Tough choice!

There are distinct advantages to each of these which would take me too long to get into...

I love that "plow handle" grip on the 1860. There hasn't been a gun that fits my hand better... I guess I'm going to have to start scrimpin'. scrapin', and savin' and get me another one... (traded mine on a rifle a couple years back)

There... see what these decision loops do to the household budget!

Drooling and begging for spare change...
WV_Hillbilly

I forgot to mention that it is under the documents section. By the way, I paid less than $150.00 for mine.

:surrender: I have a Uberti 1862 police 36 cal. that I think is a well balanced, great looking colt revolver, :v That being said however, it has a bead front sight and as all revolver's of that time shoots high, is there any way I can cure this, I put a larger bead and the problem still exists. :confused:
I have noticed many Colts have blades, are beads
period correct? Thanks Firelock :applause:

Back