• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Colt Black Powder Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1860 Army is my favorite, then the walker.
I like the 51 Navys but the trigger gaurds are to small for my big mitts.

Boy is this a long lived thread :)

Up until a few weeks ago I would have voted for the 1860 or 1851 but I have a new mistress in my life.

The 1862 Police is my new favorite. She is a sweet handling, accurate little gun.

Boomer said:
Boy is this a long lived thread :)

Up until a few weeks ago I would have voted for the 1860 or 1851 but I have a new mistress in my life.

The 1862 Police is my new favorite. She is a sweet handling, accurate little gun.

That was in the back of my mind but i`ve never had one so i couldn`t comment. Those small Colts are little gems, they have a fluted cylinder don`t they or optional?

What about the little 49 Pocket .31 Cal.? They are Sooo cute. Are they any good? I keep lookin at them but don't know if they are any good as shooters. :hmm:

The Wade Hampton Colt. As I recall the fluted 1860 was introduced in the 1960s. I think it was one of the Cent'l series that was sold by the High Standard
Mfg. Co. They had a number of North South Guns at that time.
Wade Hampton, Hamptons Legion ordered all his men in 1861 to arm themselves with a sabre and 2 Colt Armys.What the fluted Colt had to do with this I don't know. :thumbsup:
Records do show that 84% of all handguns used at Gettysburg were Colts. Would have been more but Union Inft. threw theirs away after the first long march. :haha:

A kit '60 Colt Army .44 was my very first smokewagon, and after almost 30 years (and lots of springs) it still sits butt forward on my left hip and hits what I point it at. Gotta give that one a big vote for one helluva revolver. I've had others over the years, but the only ones worth mentioning I think are the '58 Remington short barrel (5-1/2") that I usually put on strong draw, and I must admit I'm having a lot of fun with the little Remington .31 pocket revolver I picked up recently. Two finger grip, only about 12 grains of 3Fg behind that little piece of buckshot, but it can actually send it where you want it to go. Well, across a card table, anyway. ;-)
To be honest, that little pea-shooter can usually knock off a coke can at about 20 yards, depending on wind and load and luck and the favour of the smokewagon gods. :)
Anyway, those three get my vote.
Great question!

Hey, it's great to see the scarecrow again! :grin:
My sentimental favorite is the Walker because Capt. Augustus McCray carried one.

But, IMHO the best looking Colt is the 1860 Army with a round cyliner. GW

Cabela has a nice line of Colts and Rem. here`s the 62 with the fluted cyl. sharp lookin.
p003239hz02a.jpg

The 1862's are downsized version of there big brothers. The 1862 Navy looks like a small 1851 & the 1862 Police looks like a small 1860 with a fluted cylinder.

As a side note, the Police versions usually have fluted cylinders.

My 2nd favorite would have to be my 1860 Police with a 5 1/2" barrel & fluted cylinder. Shes a sweetheart also.

I'd have to go with the '60 Colt Army, too. Have a Colt Signature series gun and have a hard time putting it down in order to shoot anything else.

Also, I believe that Gus actually carried a converted Dragoon rather than a Walker...

Hey Redwing,

I finally found a reference on the "Wade Hampton 1860 Army."

Civil War Guns by William B. Edwards, p. 319:
Some time late in 1858 or early 1859 Colt had several experimental Dragoon revolvers made up. Their cylinders were fluted full length; forward of the trigger and bolt screws the frames were scalloped or reduced in width, while the barrel lug also was thinned out below the barrel wedge. The barrel breech instead of being octagonal was rounded to a continuation of the ordinary round barrel. The fluting of the cylinder, to reduce weight, seems to have also been an effort to equalize stresses in the the chamber walls upon firing. According to Manly Wade Wellman-, author of Giant in Gray, the subject of his biography, General Wade Hampton, CSA, originated this idea: ". . . the pattern of grooves on revolver cylinders, which, as I believe, was first suggested to the Colt factory by Wade Hampton of South Carolina."

According to Glenn E. Davis, quoted in Butler And His Cavalry in the War of Secession, General Hampton said that before the war he had used a Colt's revolver frequently in his hunting. The old style of pistol then had smooth cylinders. On one occasion this cylinder burst when Hampton was shooting it. "He saw that if the cylinders were grooved, the pressure when fired would be more equalized and the danger of bursting would be obviated. General Hampton then wrote to Colt, and explained fully his ideas, telling him if he agreed with him he could use the suggestion as his own. Colt patented the invention and sent General Hampton a very fine pistol specially made and thanked him for the idea."

Old Coot

I'd go with my "Avenging Angel," supposedly the type of gun that Porter Rockwell favored. It's an 1860 Army converted to a (large) pocket pistol by removing the loading lever and cutting the bbl. back to 2 1/2". Actually, I cheated when a friend gave me an extra barrel, so now I have both short and long barrels, although the long one is almost never on the pistol. I can't make any velocity claims, but it's decently accurate at 10-15 yds. and clangs steel or punches paper pretty well. :)

Thanks for the info, Coot. Hampton is one of my favorite historical figures - the area I live in was one of his 'stomping grounds' - he came here in the fall and hunted with his buddys and their dogs, staying as long as a month at a time. Cashiers, N.C. has a hotel and golf course named for him. I did not know that Colt revolvers had any connection to him.

Latest posts

Back