• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Favorite Colt Black Powder Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What is your favotire Colt black powder revolver?
army_steel.gif

1836 Paterson
1847 Walker
1847 Whitneyville Dragoon
1848 Baby Dragoon
1848 2nd. Modle Dragoon
1849 Pocket Revolver
1851 Navy
1851 Navy Sheriff
1851 Navy Buntline
1860 Army
1862 Pocket Navy
1862 Pocket Police

There may be more, so which is the one that catches your fancy?

I have the early Uberti 1860 with fluted cylinder and 8" barrel. Once we bored the chambers out to .451 for .454 balls, it turned into an incredibly accurate shooter. It will now match my K38 Natonal Match with it's best loads at 25yds.,(which is 1" for 5) as long as I use a full cylinder of powder and waxed card wad, just as Elmer Keith said to load it.(off the bench)
: Some of the guys were downloading their wheelguns and claiming improved accuracy over full cylinder of powder, but we re-bored a few to get the cylinder the same diameter or larger than the groove dia. After being the correct size, it didn't matter what the make, they became much more accurate and would then shoot any powder charge, with much improved accuracy. Now, the single shots have no advantage over the wheelguns, except for, perhaps, better sights & triggers on some.
: The trigger on the Uberti is beautiful as well, 1 1/2 lbs. and an easy shooter with very high quality of parts and mfgr'r., which is why Colt chose them to re-make the M1851 Navy with their name Colt, on the guns.
Daryl

Looks like 3 to me.& that picture looks like a 51 or a dragoon with square backed silver guard.

The 1860 gets my vote. That last picture is a Walker Dragoon, a real "Horsepistol" :winking:

Not on your list, but I like the 1861 Navy with 5 7/16 barrel... I have a replica made by Pietta... It's a great little shooter, accurate at 12 yards like you wouldn't believe... ::

137186.jpg

This is my favorite of all my black powder revolvers. This is a 1858 Remington New Army. It shoots a .451 round ball with extreme accuracy. It is not really original as it has adjustable target sights. When you want to have a good time squirrel or snowshoe rabbit hunting, this is the way to go. 25 grains of FFFg, a wad, and a round ball and the fun begins on a crisp winter day.

1851 Navy US Marshal with 4 3/4" barrel in 44 cal. It has never been shoot yet but that is soon to change, Wife gave it to me for a chistmas present (good wife huh?) about 4 yrs ago.
P1010004a.jpg

P1010006a.jpg

rex (westcoastBPgramps)
bp can be fun

The belt model Paterson strikes my fancy the most, but I like shooting the 1860 more. The Paterson is as accurate as that trigger pull will allow, but the 1860 will shoot better at long range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Welp...Colt never made an 1851 in 44 cal., they were all 36's, or with a 4 3/4 barrel and especially not with a fluted cylinder. For the life of me I don't understand why. The rebated frame came about with the 1860 Army. Doesn't matter, that is one fine lookin' SA revolver and I like it. Colt should have made one!!!

Can I pick three? The 1860 Army would be my hands down favorite for all the obvious reasons. After that I'd have to take the 1851 Navy, in part because of Hickock. However, I used an 1849 Pocket Model in 31 cal. for a trap line revolver for a few years and I have a soft spot in my heart for that baby 1851 lookalike. For trapping I liked it better than a 22 LR.

Vic

For looking at, the 1862 Police Revolver. .36 cal. 5 shot fluted, rebated cylinder, 6 1/2 inch barrel has to be the prettiest.
For fun shooting, the 1860 Army .44 wins for pointability and balance.

Have you seen the 1860 with fluted cylinder and 8" bl? It's a beauti too. Less than 500 made, I think - not sure, though.
Daryl

Have you seen the 1860 with fluted cylinder and 8" bl? It's a beauti too. Less than 500 made, I think - not sure, though.
Daryl
Fluted_2.gif

Approximately 4000 fluted cylinder Colt 1860 Army revolvers were produced in the serial number range up to about #8000.

There are many non-fluted cylinders throughout the range that the fluted cylinder models are found in. Some of the fluted cylinders were replaced under warranty due to weak cylinder walls. In fact, quite a few. Some of these appear to have been replaced with non-fluted cylinders. Some of these fluted cylinders were replacement cylinders also and of did not have the September 10th 1850 patent stamped in 1 of the flutes.

My favorite is my brass framed Confederate Colt 36cal.....'Navy arms 1860 Rebel'.......it was my first B/P revolver I bought back in 1966........john........

Here's what they all look like together...
GAcap_ball480B.jpg

I'm suprised that no one picked tha walker...

Back in the 1970's, the Walkers had a bad habbit of dropping the lever when fired. A bit of work with a file generally corrected the problem, tho, by deeping the notch.
: Some of those 4lb. 9 oz. pieces shot quite well. It was indeed, the .44 mag of the BP era. Around that time, I sort-of preferred the 3rd model dragoon.
: The original Walkers had a nasty habbit of blowing the cylinders due to inferior metal. Some loaded with 55 to 60gr. powder charges with RB. They were originally meant to be fired with 50gr.powder and the 200 to 220gr. slug. Once they'd been at the forts for a few months, the remaining Walkers that hadn't blown up, were much cherished for long range (for a handgun) shooting.
: After a period of time, Colt improved the materials and the problems ceased. Many people of the period really liked them for running buff from horseback.
Daryl

Latest posts

Back