• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Uberti 1861 Navy from Midway. Buyer Beware!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last Uberti I bought from midway left the proof house without the arbor having been staked at all. Wide open hole as soon as you cock the hammer. The arbor easily screwed right out.

Midway wouldn't take the return and the gun ended up being one nice piece after being overworked again.

Our range requires the cylinders to be out of BP revolvers for a cease fire.

I can pop the barrel and cylinder off the 47 Walker in a heartbeat. Once tap with my wood piece, pull the wedge over and a bit of pressure with the rammer in between the chambers and its a done deal. It sounds like far more time than it takes.

On the other hand the ROA is not as fast. And you got to be careful the Rammer parts don't go a flying.

I thought the Colt style was dinosaur like and its not, its an impressive design. It looks crude and weird but its an effective solution to getting a BP revolver to work.

I have yet to be able to see the hammer sight move, I am sure some day I will catch it doing that and confirm its the hammer sight notch that is causing me to shoot badly!

And the Colt style does not require fideling with the cylinder to get it out of the gun, it simply goes off the end of the Arbor.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the ROA and the NMA, its just that I don't see the Colt as 2nd rate now.
The Colt has too many parts to juggle for me. Wedge, barrel, old cylinder,new cylinder..Oh my!! On my Rem 58's everything stays where it should, except the cylinder which comes in and out with no problem after I learned how to do it. :dunno:

The key to getting the remington cylinder in and out is to do it when it's NOT at half cock. Just barely pull the hammer back enough that the anvil is out of the frame and the cylinder rolls in and out. I'm also really surprised to see grown men asking for a thread to be closed. It's as unnerving to see that certain words pertaining to particular bullets and parts can't be mentioned here either.

I struggled with Rems for awhile until some lady showed me how. ;)
I still prefer the Colt’s grip (Ubertis), and mine only come apart in 3 pieces, the wedge Never leaves the bbl assembly.

Just received a "brand new" Uberti 1861 Navy in the mail today. Several years ago, I purchased a 1862 Police from Midway, and it came with a corroded and pitted barrel, and obvious signs of use without cleaning. After MUCH haggling I was able to get my money back. Figured it was a "one-off", so when I saw a sale on the Uberti 1861 Navy, I decided to chance it.

Well, here is the result. The box it came in looks like it has been tossed around a warehouse for the last two decades. I opened the plastic, and there was a noticeable lack of the slimy oil that I have grown use to when opening a new revolver. As you can see in the pics, there is rust around the nipples, and also around the front sight. That is on Midway, and I was aware of their "No Return" policy on black powder guns. They got over on me, but it will be the last time, I can assure you of that. Shame on you, Midway!

Now, for the gun itself, it is not so nearly as nice as the last Pietta (1851 Navy .44 Sheriff's Model) I bought a year or so ago. The fit and finish was of much lower quality than previous Uberti's I own. I am stuck with the gun due to Midway's policy, and I will clean and polish it up. Hopefully it will shoot well. Haven't had the barrel off yet to see if it rusted or pitted, crossing my fingers. Just a shout out to let folks know my now two time experience with Midway, and the Uberti's they sell. View attachment 303035View attachment 303036View attachment 303039View attachment 303040

Half cock is what you should be able to do. If it does not work, then you have a timing issue. Either the bolt, the hand or even both.

All mine work at half cock though the ROA is a tad iffy at times.

I can knock apart the Walker quicker than I can take the cylinder out of the ROA.

Remington about the same as the Walker.

I do like the Walker as you don't have to futz with the Hand and rolling the cylinder, tap out the wedge and pull the barrel off and the cylinder comes off.

My cylinder do come out ok but they also hange up, its not the bolt (now) so it may be the hand.

Regardless, if you struggle with the cylinder removal, then its got an issue and if you can solve send it to Mike.

Back