• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Uberti 1861 Navy from Midway. Buyer Beware!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny how at about 4 pages the comments start over- I guess no one wants to read ALL the posts before commenting.
Thanks PB for the cautionary tale, I would do the same as you.
But then I detail strip, clean, deburr and tune every new cap and ball revolver I buy before it ever sees the range.
I’ve been lucky with midway, only one of the last half dozen had rusty nipples, at least not from being fired.
I always clean the threads and NevRseize the “cones”, that way I never have to take them out while cleaning.
Only drawback is no matter how careful I am I end up like this every time!
IMG_3553.jpeg

You have displayed your "intellect" by your lack of ability to write coherent sentences. What is it that you are trying to communicate? Never mind a response, as it will undoubtedly be filled with grammatical errors, lack of punctuation, and random words structured together in such a manner as to leave the your attempt at intelligent conversation incomprehensible.

I'm going to step in here because I wont tolerate some sarcastic "far superior to thee" individual trying to subordinate and publicly embarass a fellow traveller with a presumed superiority and pseudo "intellect".
Frankly I had no trouble comprehending the "vintovka" post at #93, it was both concise and succinct which seems to escape you.
You may be a Pastor, but sadly in your critical post it revealed you to be arrogant and unjustifiably judgemental; which surprises me what with you claiming to be a Christian.

Funny how at about 4 pages the comments start over- I guess no one wants to read ALL the posts before commenting.
Thanks PB for the cautionary tale, I would do the same as you.
But then I detail strip, clean, deburr and tune every new cap and ball revolver I buy before it ever sees the range.
I’ve been lucky with midway, only one of the last half dozen had rusty nipples, at least not from being fired.
I always clean the threads and NevRseize the “cones”, that way I never have to take them out while cleaning.
Only drawback is no matter how careful I am I end up like this every time!
View attachment 303909
Funny meme. I had a motorcycle mechanic who used to say this about anti seize, “you can paint your house with a thumb full.”

But regarding rusted nipples from the factory. The one Pietta that I got wasn’t rusted but some of them had bluing salts leeching out from the threads. Anyone who has had a hot bluing setup knows that after the parts come out of the bluing tank they go into a hot water bath to dissolve any salts that remain on the item in question. Obviously Pietta blues the cylinder with the nipples installed, not the best gunsmithing practice. Any part that can possibly be disassembled easily should be before polishing and bluing. Easily being the operative word here, of course one does not remove the barrel from the receiver unless it is a take down model, and similar situations. A bit of laziness and labor saving on Pietta’s part.

Did you happen to take a peek at the date of manufacture? It may have been kicked around their warehouse for a couple of years.
The OP stated that the date was based on the serial number for July of 2020. However, most if not all of these Italilan reproductions are date coded with two letters in a box or newer models have the last two numbers of the year marked. At least the Uberti and Pietta revolvers that I have seen have been marked this way.

Wondering if the OP can verify the date of manufacture based on the date code and see if the serial number matches that year of manufacture.

I recently bought two Uberti revolvers from Jedediah Star. When I opened the boxes, both came in Taylor's boxes, not Uberti. Both pistols were pristine. Makes me think that Taylor's gets the cream of the crop.
I should think that for the premium price Taylor's is charging over Midway that they would be doing "dealer prep" and either fixing boo boo's or more often sending the rejects back to U or P. They would learn not to send marginal or returned pistols to Taylor's. Midway makes no representation about inspecting or preparing. Unlikely they open the factory boxes, or if the do they only verify basic identity.

I thought Lyman discontinued the Eyepal?

I got the latest one a few months back. The other one lost its static cling and was taped on.

I freed up a pair of glasses that still work (well they have had some repairs done by yours truly) but are fully functional for close up and distance. I put the new eye pal on that and its permanent setup. I take them to the range with me and switch to shoot the pistols (and pistols to me is generic, the rest are revolvers or semi-auto - and yes there are a few odd ball single loaders and such in the bunch!)

The Eyepal helps on the longer sight distance on the Revolvers. I can shoot semi ok without it but the Eyepal sharpens up the image as long as the sun is not in my eyes.

It has returned the 22 Target pistol to pristine sight picture was well as shorter sight distance on my other guns. I was able to actually hit a target (15 feet) ok with a 1907 Browning!

Frankly I had no trouble comprehending the "vintovka" post at #93, it was both concise and succinct which seems to escape you.
You may be a Pastor, but sadly in your critical post it revealed you to be arrogant and unjustifiably judgemental; which surprises me what with you claiming to be a Christian.

Ok, full disclosure, I am far closer to a pagan and not at all a Christian. Our finest Christian is now back East running Fallwalls operation. We don't miss him a bit.

Post 93 was full on snark. It took some parsing on my part to figure out what in the blue blazes he was saying. Maybe that is me, but I soared to Gold level compressions back in 6th grade.

It added nothing to the discussion. If someone wants to call themselves a preacher, so be it. I have known good and bad, I don't care.

I posted my good experience. I did not do it to put Preacher down, just that he got a less than good example that is not true of all Midway transactions. He went in knowing it could happen and he decided to deal with it himself and explained what he did and why.

For someone new to this, that is valuable info and they can make a decision to pay more for someone that will deal with them directly or they can read Midway BP resolution method and decide to go that route or fix it themselves.

As Mike aka 45D would say, these do not come out of the factory perfect. Its good to know that and who you want to deal with and what the cost you want to pay more for is. Midway is up front on the BP buy. Works for me. The 47 Walker works fine. Not up to 45D standards of course, but good enough for the shooting I do. It may go to Mike some day to get the best out of it. Right now I am not up to being able to shoot it the best.

I received my 1861 Uberti from Midway yesterday, which I had ordered prior to reading this warning post. It is a 2023 manufactured revolver and fortunately has no issues. Good finish, timing and function. Not sure if I just got lucky or if substandard products are the outliers. Anyway, I have ordered from Midway occasionally since the 90s and have yet to have a problem.

Over the years I have bought Uberti's from several off the retailers. It is not unusual to find torn or scuffed boxes. Those boxes are not sturdy, and are disposable. On a few new old stock items the oil was dried, and I have seen more than one with the red rouge remains around the nipples. The price points on these are low for what you are getting.

Clean, oil, debug and tune if required, then go shoot.

Back