• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fall '09 Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Another Shotgun Contest

I was asked by a few members to do the shotgun contest again. I promised that I would this fall, so here we go again. :thumbsup:

Take your favorite traditional smoothbore muzzleloader and load it up with a one-ounce (70 grain measure) load of #6 lead shot. (a 70 grain measure of steel or bismuth shot may be used if required by law)

You may use any other load components you wish (except more shot :nono: ).

There will be separate categories for cylinder bore and choked guns.

Write "Choked" or "Cyl" on your target according to which category your gun fits.

The target is a standard 8.5 x 11" sheet of printer paper.

Distance is 25 yards.

Shots are to be taken off-hand.

One shot per entry.

One entry per member.

Number of pellet hits on the paper determines the winner.

Shots that are "slugged", where all the pellets remain in a bundle, will be counted as one hole.

Targets that have been mutilated will be disqualified.

All Muzzleloadingforum members are eligible to participate.

Members screen name must be written on their target.

Multiple targets may be submitted in the same envelope to save postage if more than one member shoots in the same group.

Targets must be postmarked by November 2, 2009 to be eligible.

Targets received after November 10, 2009 will be disqualified.

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe! :hatsoff:

Mail entries to;
Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I figgered I'd even the odds a little this time;
There will be separate categories for cylinder bore and choked guns.

Write "Choked" or "Cyl" on your target according to which category your gun fits.

And maybe not have so many holes to count;
Distance is 25 yards.

Otherwise the rules are pretty much the same as last time. Have fun.

I'll give it a go this time. I've been out of the loop for a while because of health issues.

Hey Jethro, this sounds like a fun contest. If you have done it before, can you tell us how many pellet holes the winning target had (specifically for a cylinder bore, if they were seperated from the choked guns)?

Skychief said:
Hey Jethro, this sounds like a fun contest. If you have done it before, can you tell us how many pellet holes the winning target had (specifically for a cylinder bore, if they were seperated from the choked guns)?

There wasn't a whole lot of participation last time, and they weren't separated, but here are the results;

1. Wildshot 162 pellets He says he used a 12ga New Englander with a turkey choke. I say Turkeys Beware!

2. Skunkskinner, 91 pellets

3. Pete D, 35 pellets

4. grzrob, 32 pellets

I'm not sure if Skunkskinner was using a choked gun or not. The last two were cylinder bore for sure. Also these were at 20 yards instead of 25. Might make some difference in patterns. Hopefully these guys have done some load development since the last contest and will put a few more pellets in the paper. :wink:

BILLYGOAT said:
Any gauge shotgun?

Mine is a 16 smoothie.
cyc. bore.

Yessir, any gauge shotgun/smoothbore so long as it's a traditionally styled gun. Double-barrels are OK too, just choose a barrel and go with it.

I'd love to shoot this one, but my only smoothbore is a pistol. I really don't think it would be wise to touch off an ounce of #6s from it. :nono:

You done purty good with the Bess Skunk. :thumbsup: Good luck this round.

I've had my eye out for a good deal on a Bess. Gotta love 'em.

:hmm: That's something I never thought of.

I don't want to go changing the rules now, so we'll stick with one entry per member. Choose your favorite category.

Next time we'll do one entry per member per category.

Finally got out to shoot this. Target will be in the mail tomorrow. I can tell I'm going to have to do a lot more "load development" with my 12 ga SxS . . .

or maybe just pull both triggers at the same time . . . :bull:

You could pull both triggers as long as you had 35 grains worth of shot in each barrel! Of course I do not know if this would push the edge of the envelope or not!
:bow:

grzrob said:
You could pull both triggers as long as you had 35 grains worth of shot in each barrel! Of course I do not know if this would push the edge of the envelope or not!
:bow:

:hmm: :hmm: :hmm: ... :youcrazy: :shake:

:haha:

I know there're a few days left before the "due" date, but . . . are ya gettin' any targets???

BTW - I did pull both triggers . . . problem was I only loaded one barrel :blah:

Back