• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cant hit the broad side of a barn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Muskets, who needs em. Why you can’t hit anything, shooters shut their eyes and just pointed. Had to fire volleys cause no one shooter could hit a target.
To that everyone with a smidgen of experience we know that if not as close as a rifle at least it’s a killer in the deer woods or battlefield and can serve on most woods walks where gongs and such are often the target
Good shooters of military muskets can get off four shots a minute, the British requirement.
I was once in a competition over seen by Ted Spring shooting paper plates at twenty five yards timed at three minutes and forty five seconds, enough time for fifteen shots, I got nine shooting PRB in my smoothie.
After the shoot Spring demonstrated his own skill. Twenty one shots in that time.
I don’t speed load any more, but @Black Powder Maniac Mark posted watching some NSSA boys shoot speed loading competitions, sounded like a battle.
Loading cartridge and shooting as fast as you can has anyone tried a musket at fifty or a hundred yards,and really looked to their group. Not a woods walk where you just need a ting but a real target shoot.
Not a useful skill since Redcoats Frogs and Injuns don’t cause too much trouble these days.
Most of the time you get just one shot at a deer
I’m thinking I may need to give it a try, could I get five shots on a man sized target at a hundred yards in two min( 25 seconds per shot…. Priming separately)
Little Devil on my shoulder

Muskets, who needs em. Why you can’t hit anything, shooters shut their eyes and just pointed. Had to fire volleys cause no one shooter could hit a target.
To that everyone with a smidgen of experience we know that if not as close as a rifle at least it’s a killer in the deer woods or battlefield and can serve on most woods walks where gongs and such are often the target
Good shooters of military muskets can get off four shots a minute, the British requirement.
I was once in a competition over seen by Ted Spring shooting paper plates at twenty five yards timed at three minutes and forty five seconds, enough time for fifteen shots, I got nine shooting PRB in my smoothie.
After the shoot Spring demonstrated his own skill. Twenty one shots in that time.
I don’t speed load any more, but @Black Powder Maniac Mark posted watching some NSSA boys shoot speed loading competitions, sounded like a battle.
Loading cartridge and shooting as fast as you can has anyone tried a musket at fifty or a hundred yards,and really looked to their group. Not a woods walk where you just need a ting but a real target shoot.
Not a useful skill since Redcoats Frogs and Injuns don’t cause too much trouble these days.
Most of the time you get just one shot at a deer
I’m thinking I may need to give it a try, could I get five shots on a man sized target at a hundred yards in two min( 25 seconds per shot…. Priming separately)
Little Devil on my shoulder
I can assure you the woods walk at fort de Chartres required precision shooting to score the maximum points. wounded game didn't count. but I tried to set it up so smooth bore shooter had at least a decent chance of winning.

Wasn’t clear as I posted.
Have you ever tried shooting a group at fifty or a hundred yards with military style shooting. Two,three or preferably four shots a minute

Wasn’t clear as I posted.
Have you ever tried shooting a group at fifty or a hundred yards with military style shooting. Two,three or preferably four shots a minute
I haven't tried it but when I was young and dumb we had a team event that involved shooting a 2x4 or a limb in half. Which ever team did it the fastest won. It was pour out of the horn and spit a ball, or two, down the barrel, ram it all home and shoot. I sure am glad, and lucky, I lived long enough to outgrow all that stupidity.

Latest posts

Back