• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting a percussion to a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a percussion Lyman trade rifle in 54 caliber that's never been fired. I'm try to find out if it is feasible to convert it to a flintlock rifle or not. Your suggestions are welcome. Thanks ahead of time. I'm a newbie to anything flintlock just so you know ahead of time if this turns out to be a stupide endeavor. LOL! I watched the following video and it seems possible.

Converting Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain rifle from percussion to Flint​

Last edited:
The Dixie rifle requires a simple drum to vent-liner swap and changing locks. On the Lyman, you'd have to replace the complete breechplug(if you could find a flint plug to fit) and this replacement plug would have to be fitted to the barrel to make sure it lines up to the flats correctly and to the correct depth for a proper plug to barrel fit.

Personally, unless it has great sentimental value, I'd sell the percussion gun and buy a flinter.

It's honestly not worth the time, ya need a new lock,, there is cutting, grinding, drilling and fitting that needs to be done on the barrel,, then fitting of the new lock into the stock against the fabricated barrel,,,,
All that,, means it's just easier to buy a different rifle that's already a flint lock.
Honest.

I solved my concerns by ordering a Lyman Trade Rifle 54 cal. in flintlock a few minutes ago through Grice in PA. They still have three 50s in flintlock available just in case anyone else is looking for the discontinued Lyman rifles in flintlock I bought the last of the 54s.

Ask about converting the firing system on a muzzleloader, and the answer is just by a different muzzleloader

He asked what would be involved in the conversion and he got his questions answered. And yes, for the work AND expense involved it would be/was more feasible to buy another gun set up how he wants it.

I have a TC Renegade here that I converted from percussion to flint. I had to make a new patent breech plug with the hook on the back, and fit everything up. It was fun and came out very nice, but unless you have a lathe and milling machine as well as a good way to finish steel, it's not something you'd want to do. It all started because somebody gave me a TC flint lock. And of course most of the parts on and in that have been replaced as well, but now it works.

Back