• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting flintlock to percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o_O You can't, it is a sin. And illegal in most states. Wash yer brain out for jest thinking of sumptin' like that. 😉
I have never seen or heard of any law or regulation that would make this illegal. Maybe in Whackadoodle land but most states have very few regulations on muzzle loaders. If you have info to the contrary I think we would all like to see where to find it.

@Wv_mingo327, the conversion from flint to percussion can be done. The flint lock will have to be modified for use as @tenngun describes. The end result is shown in my L&R Manton lock that was converted from flint to percussion.
View attachment 264653

That looks terrible
You can see the remnants of the pan and plugs for the frizzen spring and frizzen bolt. It looks better on my rifle. I made a new touch hole liner and the rifle is presently a flint lock.

View attachment 264659

View attachment 264657

Replacing the CVA flint lock with a CVA (or Traditions) percussion lock would be far easier.

I am not sure of the configuration of a CVA Mountain Rifle's flint breech. I would like to see a cut away of the CVA flint lock breech for the Mountain Rifle.

I had a neighbor that painted his car with house paint at one time....to each their own...
You must be a young lad. Everybody hand painted their cars, into the 1960s. Tip paint onto car from tin, a great big puddle of paint, then spread it everywhere before it gets a drying skin beautiful finish. House paint that is

How hard would it be to convert a flint lock rifle to a percussion rifle? I’m in search of a Cva mountain rifle barrel can’t seem to find a percussion barrel anywhere but see flints from time to time, I’m thinking of picking one up and attempting to convert it to percussion. Thank you
They did it to thousands of rifles and muskets in the 19th century; think of all those classic Pennsylvania rifles 'converted' to percussion; making them less collectible and valuable in the 20th century! Alas.

Why does everyone keep going on about converting a flint lock to percussion? READ the posts! the OP states he has a percussion lock.
Nope, the OP has a flint lock that he wants to convert to a percussion lock.

How hard would it be to convert a flint lock rifle to a percussion rifle? I’m in search of a Cva mountain rifle barrel can’t seem to find a percussion barrel anywhere but see flints from time to time, I’m thinking of picking one up and attempting to convert it to percussion. Thank you

If one can convert a flint lock to percussion, then a percussion lock can be converted to flint lock as I did in an earlier post although what I did was take flint lock that had been converted to being a percussion lock and convert it back to flint lock.

If one can convert a flint lock to percussion, then a percussion lock can be converted to flint lock as I did in an earlier post although what I did was take flint lock that had been converted to being a percussion lock and convert it back to flint lock.
If you look on the first page the 11 th post the OP clearly states he has a percussion lock and is ONLY looking to convert a flintlock barrel to percussion

I have never seen or heard of any law or regulation that would make this illegal. Maybe in Whackadoodle land but most states have very few regulations on muzzle loaders. If you have info to the contrary I think we would all like to see where to find it.
I’m thinking the little emoji was added to make it clear he was joking
However converting a real manly manly gun in to a bud light gun is just wrong!!!!
Am I displaying some flinter elitism here?
I can be the cock of the walk till a wheel lock or match lock shooter come by and slaps my chops.
Most flinter shooters start as percussion shooter than the flint bug bites.
Most don’t go from flint to percussion

Why does everyone keep going on about converting a flint lock to percussion? READ the posts! the OP states he has a percussion lock.
You are the only one on here with any sense I think 😂 I don’t think anyone has even payed attention to what they read , yes I have a complete stock assembly with a percussion lock NOT A FLINT but I can’t find a percussion barrel anywhere but see flint barrels pretty regular that is the point of this post being able to take a flint barrel just the barrel and use it with what I already have

I’m thinking the little emoji was added to make it clear he was joking
However converting a real manly manly gun in to a bud light gun is just wrong!!!!
Am I displaying some flinter elitism here?
I can be the cock of the walk till a wheel lock or match lock shooter come by and slaps my chops.
Most flinter shooters start as percussion shooter than the flint bug bites.
Most don’t go from flint to percussion

Here’s another converted to percussion. This other by innes. Is a flintlock converted to a small action flintlock. Its value gone down at only £600-800 at holts uk December auction Might have a punt. Spent too much on old guns in July . Haha

Attachments

• 07D363C6-ECB8-47EB-95A3-698FA8547430.jpeg
    07D363C6-ECB8-47EB-95A3-698FA8547430.jpeg
    347.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5CEFCFEB-F5E8-41B7-86A0-4454ED6A398D.jpeg
    5CEFCFEB-F5E8-41B7-86A0-4454ED6A398D.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 0

There right ya know I have a percussion set up and only need to take a flint barrel and convert it over

You are the only one on here with any sense I think 😂 I don’t think anyone has even payed attention to what they read , yes I have a complete stock assembly with a percussion lock NOT A FLINT but I can’t find a percussion barrel anywhere but see flint barrels pretty regular that is the point of this post being able to take a flint barrel just the barrel and use it with what I already have
I did a little research and found that the touch hole liner on the flint barrels is a 5-.8 metric thread. The liner wouldn't be hard to remove. The problem would be I doubt you are going to find a drum for the existing thread. With that said you could drill it out and re-thread it for an existing drum that you can get.

Is this the kind of breech hook your gun takes?

Attachments

• 20231102_100841.jpg
    20231102_100841.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231102_100848.jpg
    20231102_100848.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I did a little research and found that the touch hole liner on the flint barrels is a 5-.8 metric thread. The liner wouldn't be hard to remove. The problem would be I doubt you are going to find a drum for the existing thread. With that said you could drill it out and re-thread it for an existing drum that you can get.
Ahhh I thought all of the modern made guns had liners the same size as their drums, for ease of manufacturing.

Drilling it out would indeed be my move. I would drill and tap for a 5/16 drum. If the OP purchased a 5/16 vent liner, after drilling and tapping, he would be able to run his gun in whichever configuration he wanted with an easy 5 minute swap.

Here’s another converted to percussion. This other by innes. Is a flintlock converted to a small action flintlock. Its value gone down at only £600-800 at holts uk December auction Might have a punt. Spent too much on old guns in July . Haha

Full Details for Lot 500

I made one last year using angle grinder 1 mm cutting discs and flip disks about a weeks work

FINE MODERN & ANTIQUE ARMS - NOVEMBER 2023 : SALE A1123 LOT 500
* A FINE 20-BORE PERCUSSION SPORTING RIFLE WITH PAKTONG MOUNTS SIGNED F. MORGENROTH, no visible serial number,

Bid Now
Enquiry

PRODUCT DETAILS
* A FINE 20-BORE PERCUSSION SPORTING RIFLE WITH PAKTONG MOUNTS SIGNED F. MORGENROTH, no visible serial number,
first quarter of the 19th century with later conversion to percussion, the octagonal to sixteen-sided twist iron 30 1/2in. barrel signed in silver-gilt 'MORGENROTH IN GERNRODE' flanked by a chip-carved border, rosettes engraved at regular intervals along all exposed barrel-flats with a stippled ground, the breech-block and top-tang engraved with acanthus scrolls, dove-tailed white metal fore-sight, shallow standing notch rear-sight, flat bar-action lock of flint form signed in silver 'F. MORGENROTH IN GERNRODE' and engraved with a broad acanthus leaf border to lower edge, the top-edge below snail engraved with a broad border, the tail carved and moulded transforming into the head of a boar with gilt eye, the hammer carved and moulded as a winged mythical beast, the original frizzen replaced with a hinged nipple guard safe carved and engraved in the form of a feathered serpent also with a gilded eye, finely chequered walnut full-stock, the chequered panels with line borders, a relief carved rutting stag in a woodland setting behind the raised and moulded cheek-piece, the right side of butt fitted with a chequered wooden patchbox lid with horn release button (currently frozen), paktong furniture including heel-plate engraved with a leopard in a tree, monogrammed escutcheon to wrist, broad engraved paktong pillar trigger-guard bow engraved with a recumbent stag in a woodland scene and with raised scrolled lower tang, engraved skeletal ribbon sideplate, double set triggers, broad pierced and engraved paktong barrel-band, engraved paktong ramrod throat and roll-ended thimbles, horn tipped wood ramrod and fittings for sling

* Please note this item is subject to 5% VAT on the hammer price (UK Buyers only). Imported from the European Union, EU RGR Eligible

Please click HERE to view Terms & Conditions. Please note all Lots are listed in accordance with UK Law, for overseas buyers, please ensure you are familiar with your relevant local firearms and customs regulations before bidding.

Estimate £1,500-2,000

PREV LOT
NEXT LOT
TOTAL PRICE CALCULATOR
WHAT IS YOUR SPENDING LIMIT?

HOLTS

Church Farm Barns
Wolferton
Norfolk, PE31 6HA
England

Phone: +44 (0) 1485 542 822
Email:[email protected]

© Copyright 2023 HOLTS Auctioneers. All Rights Reserved
We use cookies to enhance your experience. By continuing to visit this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Accept
There right ya know I have a percussion set up and only need to take a flint barrel and convert it over

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back