• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

converting a flintlock musket to percussion at home?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a flintlock charleville 1777 and I love it, however I want to get into civil war reenacting and a flintlock is generally not PC for 1860s. I don't really want to sell or trade it so I was thinking if its still possible to convert the flintlock to percussion at home like they would have done in the past. How would you do it, if you could even at all? I'm aware of all the different conversion methods and I was thinking the drum and nipple /colt conversion would be easiest? It was just a thought thats been sitting in my head for a while and I want to know what more experienced people think

any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated

Hi guys

I have a flintlock charleville 1777 and I love it, however I want to get into civil war reenacting and a flintlock is generally not PC for 1860s. I don't really want to sell or trade it so I was thinking if its still possible to convert the flintlock to percussion at home like they would have done in the past. How would you do it, if you could even at all? I'm aware of all the different conversion methods and I was thinking the drum and nipple /colt conversion would be easiest? It was just a thought thats been sitting in my head for a while and I want to know what more experienced people think

any comments or thoughts are greatly appreciated
That would be a really interesting gun! However, I'd recommend just finding a used CW era repro musket. Check online auctions, talk to reenactors in your area, and ask around here. Just my two cents. If you love your current gun, keep it and save up for that next one. A hundred or so bucks a month and in 7 or 8 months you can have yourself the a percussion gun and keep your flintlock. It is always nice having one of each. Is there a particular historic example of a 1777 French musket converted to percussion and used in the CW that you want to repro? From my understanding, most of the older guns in the CW were 1795s or later, with 1816 muskets being quite commonly used, in converted form, in the early war.
I'm biased towards flintlocks, as Rev war reenactor, so that is driving my opinion on this, and I'm no gunsmith. Now, if you can get a spare lock made up and have a drum and nipple that can be interchangeable with a touchhole liner, in theory you might be able to have one gun that can be converted back and forth, but I'd say it's a safe bet that the money and time involved in that could just about land you a nice condition used percussion musket. In the end, by all means do what will achieve your goal and have fun. Do please share pictures of the conversion if you do go that route, or of your next musket!

Some of these were converted by installing a drum with nipple, and making an insert to screw in the jaws of the original flint cock. Rare, but entirely correct. But I wouldn’t do this to a pedersoli replica! An India one, maybe….

Here is the problem.
1. Very few 1777 muskets ended up in Colonist’s hands or US stores following the Revolution.
2. Any that ended up in our stores were put to use if serviceable until not serviceable.
3. Once not serviceable, the serviceable parts were stripped and put into storage.
4. In 1794 until parts were exhausted, they were parted out to contractors to turn into muskets made as close to the 1766 pattern as possible.
5. A lot of the muskets on hand were used up during our second war with England.

Find a musket more appropriate for Civil War reenacting. Farbs are a dime a dozen. Be something better.

Last edited:
It's your gun, it's not a collectable antique so do what you want with it. It's not hard to drill and tap a hole for a drum if you have access to a drill press. It's hard to keep things straight with a hand drill. Getting the nipple indexed can be tedious by hand but it's doable with patients. You can make an adaptor for musket caps to fit the flint hammer or buy a blank percussion hammer and file the tumbler hole to fit. You can also screw things up bigly so give it some thought first.

The musket caplock conversions that come to my mind used a bolster that was brazed to the barrel for the nipple. There was also a cone conversion. The hammer was big and goofie looking.

I'd want to measure things carefully before I used a drum conversion. The barrel is thinner than a rifle. I am not aware of it being done with a drum.
https://collegehillarsenal.com/outstanding-us-m-1822-28-conversion-musketHere is a drum conversion: Brown Bess Percussion Conversion Musket
https://www.ancestryguns.com/u-s-sp...r-conversion-percussion-musket-cr-antique001/

Last edited:
While it could be done I know of no Charlevilles converted and used in the Civil War. I think the most important consideration here is would the unit you are joining let you use it. I'm sure the answer is no way. Most reenactment units have done their research and will try to have every member carry the correct firearm the original unit carried.

I don't know of any Brown Bess conversions used in the War either however a few were carried in the original flint configuration early in hostilities. My Pedersoli 2nd model Bess has been approved for use by the N-SSA because of this but I have never shot it in N-SSA competition.

While it could be done I know of no Charlevilles converted and used in the Civil War. I think the most important consideration here is would the unit you are joining let you use it. I'm sure the answer is no way. Most reenactment units have done their research and will try to have every member carry the correct firearm the original unit carried.

I don't know of any Brown Bess conversions used in the War either however a few were carried in the original flint configuration early in hostilities. My Pedersoli 2nd model Bess has been approved for use by the N-SSA because of this but I have never shot it in N-SSA competition.
You are quite generous in your estimation of CW reenacting authenticity.

I applaud your desire to reenact. My advice given your age is to work on your kit. Clothes, shoes uniform etc. Keep in mind you are 16? And will continue to grow a bunch. Go to the nssa site and search for a local unit down where you live and email them looking for guidance and mentor. They can help you find a suitable firearm and help you acquire it so that your age does not get in the way. It may be totally legal in florida to buy one but sellers are many times reluctant. Your mentor may have a loaner or even one for sale at a very reasonable price if he knows your passion. The charleville is a beautiful rifle. My advice is not to change up its features. Later in life you may want to do a different era and you have the perfect firearm.

Then onto a kibler and build it yourself for that militia image. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!!!!!!

Don’t mess with your Charlieville- you will more than likely regret doing anything like that to it.
I’m sure that some folks in your unit can provide you a loaner musket as you build up your kit.
And repeating what was suggested earlier, your Unit may have requirements for the type of arm you carry.
Reenacting is a ton of fun and great way to help educate the public. I’m glad you’re getting into it.

Back