• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Converting flintlock to percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wv_mingo327

32 Cal
Reaction score
How hard would it be to convert a flint lock rifle to a percussion rifle? I’m in search of a Cva mountain rifle barrel can’t seem to find a percussion barrel anywhere but see flints from time to time, I’m thinking of picking one up and attempting to convert it to percussion. Thank you

You can rework the lock, or buy one to fit in. The flash hole is drilled out and a drum is fitted in. A cone-nipple is fitted to the drum and the cock-hammer is aligned with the nipple.
In the old days the flash pan was cut off and frizzen spring removed. The bolster, thick part of the lock was filed out to fit to the drum. The cock was replaced.
Sometimes the drum was brazed on instead of screwed in
Drums, locks and cones are available through Track of the wolf or Log cabin or other such supply houses

@Wv_mingo327, the conversion from flint to percussion can be done. The flint lock will have to be modified for use as @tenngun describes. The end result is shown in my L&R Manton lock that was converted from flint to percussion.
P3091757.JPG

You can see the remnants of the pan and plugs for the frizzen spring and frizzen bolt. It looks better on my rifle. I made a new touch hole liner and the rifle is presently a flint lock.

SMR Flint 05.jpg

SMR Percussion 05.jpg

Replacing the CVA flint lock with a CVA (or Traditions) percussion lock would be far easier.

I am not sure of the configuration of a CVA Mountain Rifle's flint breech. I would like to see a cut away of the CVA flint lock breech for the Mountain Rifle.

How handy are you? Removing the vent liner and replacing it with a drum of the same thread size would be much cheaper than finding an entire percussion barrel.
Doing the work wouldn’t be much a problem I was just hesitant as there being any small details I could potentially over look such as drum alignment and things of that nature

I would but I already have a complete percussion stock n lock assembly and can’t find a percussion barrel so was just gonna attempt to convert flint to percussion for the time being
I have 2 GM unfired drop-in barrels that would fit tc or lyman stocks but not sure about yours; 15/16 32" .54 & 1" 32'L .58 but got to have $600 each.

Doing the work wouldn’t be much a problem I was just hesitant as there being any small details I could potentially over look such as drum alignment and things of that nature.
Just get a drum that is not drilled for a nipple. You can choose the exact spot you want the nipple hole drilled.

Track of the Wolf sells a drum drilling/threading (1/4-28) jig that comes with instructions and works great. I have installed several using it.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Search.aspx?search=DRUM-CVA-N
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/810/1/TOOL-DRUM

Later on down the road I would like to get into flint but I’m kinda new to the muzzle losing scene and kinda partial to percussion would love the find a barrel for the stock assembly I have
Have you tried Deer Creek Products for a barrel? Might have to call them not all inventory is on the web site. Featured

o_O You can't, it is a sin. And illegal in most states. Wash yer brain out for jest thinking of sumptin' like that. 😉
Come on guys they have been converting for years, I prefer percussion back to flint. Anyway holts auction uk. His rifle his choice. People do silly things , just thinking out side the box.

Attachments

• 02C7E156-D69A-47C4-B6C8-978736300AF0.jpeg
    02C7E156-D69A-47C4-B6C8-978736300AF0.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back