• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chilled vs magnum shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy Bays

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello
I was lucky enough to pickup a Pedersoli side by side 12 gauge. I was wondering what is best for BP shotguns chilled or magnum lead shot.
I will be shooting.clays for fun...not really sport.
Thanks

If you are just shooting clays for fun use chilled shot, it's cheaper. Magnum shot is for hunting.

Pure lead shot should be used in muzzleloaders so you want to try to find that. If using chilled or magnum you definitely want to use some sort of shot cup. If you have a Pedersoli with the chrome lined barrel then you would not need a shot cup.

Pure lead shot should be used in muzzleloaders so you want to try to find that. If using chilled or magnum you definitely want to use some sort of shot cup. If you have a Pedersoli with the chrome lined barrel then you would not need a shot cup.

I am not aware that magnum shot has any negative effect on any shotgun barrel;
often it patterns better too.
The barrel steel is much harder than magnum shot, which is easily flattened with a light hammer. Even old barrel steel is harder than that.
Lots of serious muzzleloading shotgun competitors shooting original guns shoot magnum shot.

Chilled shot is pure lead for the most part. If it has antimony added it will be labeled so.

Soft lead (un chilled) will cause leading problems in the bore. Then you have to get out the choreboy to remove it. Been there, done that.

Ive been using magnum shot in my 20 gauge smoothbore, mostly with paper shot cups, sometimes with nothing. Have not had an issue.

Back