• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What % antimony in shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been thinking about shot recently. In the past I'd just buy 5 pound of a specific size shot at Dixons. Recently thinking about buying larger bulk order (25 pounds) online, but wanted some feedback.

I figure chilled shot of pure lead is best for mass and the longevityof my barrel, but I've seen "magnum" shot (or other types listed) that have additives (antimony). Some are only between 2-3% antimony, so still pretty soft lead with pretty good mass.

At what % would you avoid the shot for use in a flintlock fusil with cylinder bore? Do some of you only use chilled shot? Do you see better performance from the 100% lead?

I never asked what the shot was at Dixons. It may be chilled or not (it just comes wrapped in brown paper).

Good shot is 2-3% antimony. Take a trio to Richland Shooter supply. They should have West Coast shot in stocks, what most shooters use to reload for competition shooting. I use Spartan shot, just as good but a little cheaper.

Going to more than 3% won't gain you anything. And the higher the antimony the lighter your shot will will be and you'll have to go to larger sized shot.

Do you plan to use it as shot or melt it down and shoot it as a PRB? If the latter, shot would be an expensive way to obtain lead, and might give you trouble loading it. Wouldn't hurt your bore though.

Good shot is 2-3% antimony. Take a trio to Richland Shooter supply. They should have West Coast shot in stocks, what most shooters use to reload for competition shooting. I use Spartan shot, just as good but a little cheaper.

Going to more than 3% won't gain you anything. And the higher the antimony the lighter your shot will will be and you'll have to go to larger sized shot.
Oh yes, it certainly will! Harder shot deforms less and stays in the core of your pattern instead of veering off! Magnum shot is preferred if pattern density matters, such as in competition or hunting. I'm not saying you can't kill game with softer shot, you certainly can. But, there are gains to be had in using harder shot and the loss of weight in the pellet is inconsequential.

It's too hard when the sack is labeled steel.
Normal 2-3% antimony is fine and has been used in many early (BP cartridge) guns.

Chilled shot is 2-3% antimony and magnum shot is 4-6% antimony. Chilled shot is slightly denser but not much. I used to use chilled for upland game and clay targets and magnum lead for waterfowl because it tends to pattern better but they will all work for anything.

Patterning and penetration tests will reveal what is really going on. I like #7 shot, a big bigger and heavier than #7 1/2 but more pellets than #6. I had a small amount of different pellets and found a better pattern and penetration with on in particular. Its a #7 with an advertised 5% antimony and nickel plated. The patterns were much more even and penetration was overall slightly better than any other shot in that size. I use a lot of #6 on wild birds and bigger birds. When I tried different shot brands, one that was 3% antimony stood out with the best pattern and penetration compared to other brand and type #6, even the copper and nickel plated ones. If you can borrow, scrounge, trade, cut open shotshells if you know what is in them, get samples or buy a bunch of smaller quantities, it may be worth it to figure out what's best. It is a lot of effort, but I know any miss or cripple is my fault. I don't think I'd worry one bit about any kind of lead-based shot just because it was a flintlock smoothbore or Fusil type gun. All the lead based shot is a lot softer than the steel barrel.

Back