• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chamber's Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintlock1964

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about building my first flintlock. I would like to build a 50 Cal. I have some woodworking skills but not a bunch. If I gwt the DVD from them as well do an of you think I could do this not having done this before. Please ask me any ? that you need info to make your oppion. I realize that you know nothing of my skilles, but before I invest $800 I woul dlike to have some ideals. I plan on nothing fancey just a god deer hunting gun
Thanks All

Plan on spending over 140 hours of your time building it if you want to end up with a rifle you can be proud of.

As you may have gathered if you read thru some of the posts in the Gun Builders Bench here none of these custom guns are anywhere near finished when you first get the box of parts.

That is not to say you aren't capable of doing a fine job but hopefully you are good with working with hand tools and you have the drive to finish a long task.

I haven't seen any of the DVDs that describe gun building so perhaps I shouldn't say it but I suspect that some of them aren't very complete.
For this reason I would suggest that you spend about $20 and buy a copy of The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle .
It has many illustrations and an easy to read text that describes each step.

zonie has givin you some sage advice! im on rifle #5 im still new, and i have no local help. i got the book zonie sugests, and "recreating the American longrifle. both very good books. be patiant, take your time, and ask a butt load of questions! you'll be ok. you'll get scared, and nervious, but it all works out.

karwelis

If you have some decent woodworking skills I don't see any reason why you can't build one. Personally I think "The Gunsmiths of Grenville County" builders book outshines the others builders books, having 4 dif builders books here, it is the best one to me. About twice as much infor as it is trice as thin ck as the others & allot better detail & better illustrations. Cost a lil more but well worth it. Get the spiral bound ones so it will lay flat on your workbench.

There are allot of good builders on here, and they are most happy to help you with it.
:grin:

I remember the first build I had done and understand your questions, you are in a good place to get great help from people who really want you to succeed.

I think something in addition to reviewing these listed books, is to look at as many pictures as seems right for you to get a good idea of the exact type of rifle you want...the lines, the length of barrel, caliber, etc. There are options beyond belief, at first overwhelming, but with a bit of time you will find something that tickles your fancy.

Look up flintlock images and save any pics you like for study. Practice before doing anything new (if possible).

I think for me my best indicator is patience (or the lack thereof). If I feel like I am beginning to rush, or "can't wait to see how this will look" I know to stop! I can anyways come back and pickup where I left off, but I cannot always undo my goofs. (Although I do try to learn from each of them...)

Enjoy every aspect of your build. Chambers is a top notch company to work with. No such thing as a dumb question.

I cannot see from your note if you have a roughed in choice yet...any style you are leaning towards???

You say “I plan on nothing fancey just a good deer hunting gun”.

The words Chambers, .50 and good dear hunting gun add up to the York that Chambers sells. I have handled 2 of these rifles and they are sweet. Both were put together by guys that don’t have much experience with gun building. One has no patch box or carving and the other has a wood box and a simple relief around the mortise’. Nothing fancy.

I have never put together a York from Chambers but I have built a few of his guns and can say they are a pleasure to work on.

Bruce Everhart

You can't go wrong with one of Jim Chambers Long Rifle kits. Great quality all around.

However, before I ordered mine I had purchased and watched Ron Ehlerts dvd many times, along with the books recommended in the prior posts. I also did a lot of research on what tools I needed and had bought them prior to even ordering the rifle kit. One of the most valuable tools I had bought was the Wheeler pattern making vice (I think that's what its name was).

Anyway, even with all the research, preplanning and prepping my work site, when the box arrived and was opened - I still got that overwhelmed feeling like "what have I gotten myself into". But, following the directions and working on each step one at a time - and not proceeding to the next step until I was totally satisfied, everything worked out great.

Good luck - and enjoy your gun build.

Thanks Guys, I am thinking of the York or the Isaac Haines. I realize it will take awhile but I have a year before next season. The only gun I have and have shot it my centermark Tulle. Got my first deer with it this year but I want a rifle. If this work goes good I would like to builed one of their smaller guns for my son.
I am headed to the bookstore this weekend to order the books that you have suggested. Keep the replys coming and I am sure I will be on here with many ?

I have both of them here & the Haines will be about 1# less weight & have less muzzle weight, if you use the same barrels but dif. length, my Haines being a 38" and my York being a 42 " length. Of course wood density will made a lil dif as well.

:thumbsup:

Best kits in the world.... bar none.

Most authentic, most complete and user friendly.

I've probably built at least 10 or 12 of them.

IMHO.

Isaac Haines ina .54 cal. Shorter, easier handling, lightweight, and a little more knockdown power.

I'm getting ready to carve one right now.

Back