• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruined Build, Finished Now

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAC1967

40 Cal
Reaction score
I had posted about how I might have ruined a Jukar KY pistol that I was given by washing off the stripper and getting it too wet in this humidity, leaving it overnight in my garage, and the barrel channel and lock area swelling and doing all sorts of bad stuff. . . after I decided to take my files to it and see what I could do to improve the aesthetics of it.

I am a novice builder. And I have a lot of flaws in this. . . which I know and see even more than the plusses, but I got obsessed with this, had fun at first, then got frustrated, then sick of it, and just wanted it done. There are also a lot of limits for me by the original design of this fat boy that I could not change much or fully overcome with my skill or the time that I wanted to dedicate to it.

Still, I think it's better and it yes, was worth it.

Anyway . . . here are some before and after pics.

Attachments

• IMG-4676.jpg
    IMG-4676.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 3-2.jpeg
    3-2.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4689.jpg
    IMG-4689.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3-3.jpeg
    3-3.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 3-4.jpeg
    3-4.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 0
MUCH better! Did you paint those faux stripes or burn them? They look good.

I burned them . . that was the one thing I was most interested in testing with this freebie. One thing I learned with this wood (that was probably beech) I used thin solid wire, as I've seen others use here. . . but what I learned was when I wrapped the wire it left dents, particularly along the barrel channel and ramrod channel where I had thinned down the wood a lot. But I could not steam them out due to a problem I had when the stock was wet (expansion) and I couldn't sand them out or the faux stripe would go away. On a hardwood like walnut or sugar maple, it would not have been an issue, but a more flexible wire might have been better. . . either I got better as I moved along, or the harder more dense wood around the handle just striped better. BTW - I used a propane torch.

A suggestion from a long time wood worker. Water and wood don't play well together. If whiskering a wood stock is necessary , wet the wood with 90% rubbing alcohol , instead of pure water. The 10 % water in the rubbing alcohol , will cause the whiskers to rise by using a heat gun , or hair dryer to dry the sanded surface , in prep to remove the whiskers with OOOO steel wool. I've done this hundreds of times with perfect success. Some say there's a reaction from using the steel wool to polish the stock wood surface in prep for sealer , if so , I've never seen it. Also , a side benefit from using this method , is that the stock wood requires no further drying , and is warm to the touch , and ready too immediately accept the sealer. .........oldwood

Back