• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

General Kit question please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a long time woodworker (furniture, marquetry, turning, inlay) and I was just starting to look into rifle kits. I see many that are 90% or more stock completion and Mr. Kibler's kits are at 99-100% as far as any degree of necessary woodworking is concerned. The other end of the spectrum seems (so far) to be a seasoned blank and purchase barrel, lock, trigger(s) and furniture piece-by-piece. Granted I just started looking, but is there a happy medium in the kit world? I would like to get some experience for the assembly process, but I did want to have the enjoyment of some woodworking and apply that skill to the rifle build process. If they do most or all of that work for you, there is little to nothing to learn in application of previously learned craft skill. The other end of that is jump in the deep end and start with a block of wood. Any guidance is appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Hi Blackbeard. I think a person with your skills would be ready to do a scratch build. I've built kits and I am now learning from a very experienced builder how to do a scratch build. I can tell you I really like it much more than a kit build. Here are some of my posts showing a Chambers Fowler Kit build!

Thread 'My next build Jim Chambers PA Fowler' My next build Jim Chambers PA Fowler/

Thread 'Finished Jim Chambers PA Fowler' Finished Jim Chambers PA Fowler

This is a post showing current progress on my scratch build:

Thread 'Moravian inspired build' Moravian inspired build

I wish you good luck!

If you want an care about historical accuracy then a Kibler southern mountain kit might be what you want first. I have built 12 guns from planks. Did all my own barrel and ramrod channels myself. First one I did was a 46 inch swamped barrel. Because I didn't know better...lol But I have also built kits from other vendors. Everyone had some kind of screw up except the Kibler. His commitment to 100% quality is amazing and he backs his products. Hope this helps..

Back