• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you ship a percussion Sharps through the USPS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I received a call from Shiloh Sharps that my percussion 1863 Shiloh Sharps was ready for shipping.

However, they said that it had to be shipped to an FFL.

When I asked whose rules this was, eventually the lady said it was UPS's rules. I said you could ship through USPS and she said, "If that was an option we would already be doing it."

I have shipped many percussion arms through the USPS without dealing with an FFL.

Dixie Gun Works sells the percussion 1859 Sharps and ships via USPS and UPS without requiring an FFL. I called them up and they said so.

Does anyone know why an 1863 Shiloh Sharps can't be shipped via USPS?

The Shiloh Sharps web site says:

https://shilohrifle.com/ordering-info-and-instructions/
"All rifles are shipped in a UPS approved Doskocil® gun case and will be shipped UPS only either ground - 3 day select, 2nd day or next day. Absolutely no U.S. mail. The cost of the gun case will be $90.00 plus the cost of shipping."

So I guess they are adamant on not using USPS. However, Dixie Gun Works also ships via UPS and still don't require an FFL.

I shipped a Shiloh percussion carbine a while back. It arrived damaged but they didn't give me any lip about an ffl when I first sent it. I can't remember whether it was UPS or Fedex

Today I received a call from Shiloh Sharps that my percussion 1863 Shiloh Sharps was ready for shipping.

However, they said that it had to be shipped to an FFL.

When I asked whose rules this was, eventually the lady said it was UPS's rules. I said you could ship through USPS and she said, "If that was an option we would already be doing it."

I have shipped many percussion arms through the USPS without dealing with an FFL.

Dixie Gun Works sells the percussion 1859 Sharps and ships via USPS and UPS without requiring an FFL. I called them up and they said so.

Does anyone know why an 1863 Shiloh Sharps can't be shipped via USPS?

The Shiloh Sharps web site says:

https://shilohrifle.com/ordering-info-and-instructions/
"All rifles are shipped in a UPS approved Doskocil® gun case and will be shipped UPS only either ground - 3 day select, 2nd day or next day. Absolutely no U.S. mail. The cost of the gun case will be $90.00 plus the cost of shipping."

So I guess they are adamant on not using USPS. However, Dixie Gun Works also ships via UPS and still don't require an FFL.

Go to the USPS and find out for sure

OP, I have shipped multiple percussion pistols and a percussion rifle through USPS, several from Dixie Gun Works, so I'm quite sure the problem must be with your shipper's interpretations of your state's requirements, not with Federal USPS requirements. You can bet DGW knows what's what wrt state requirements, so it seems to me your problem is with Shiloh Sharps.

I shipped a Shiloh percussion carbine a while back. It arrived damaged but they didn't give me any lip about an ffl when I first sent it. I can't remember whether it was UPS or Fedex
Sending it to them would not be a problem - they are an FFL for receiving.
Did they require it to go to an FFL when they sent it to you?

so it seems to me your problem is with Shiloh Sharps.
I am certain you are correct. I had to press the lady on the phone asking several times "Whose rule is this?" before she finally said "UPS". When I asked if they could send it USPS she said, "If that was an option we would already be doing it."

I found her manner very abrupt, abrasive, and rude.

Some states require shipping of any firearm other than a Pre-98 original to ship to an FFL dealer. This includes modern remakes of an original design. It is the states being further restrictive than Federal Law requires them to be.

For example. I live in Illinois. I can have a 1867 Rolling block shipped directly to my door. However, I am required to ship a T/C muzzleloader to an FFL dealer. Doesn't make sense as the Rolling Block can be chambered in a cartridge as effective as a modern design (performance wise), yet a modern made muzzleloader is restricted. Proof lllionis lawmakers don't know what they are doing.

Back to your question of why won't they? The few states that are restrictive, dictate the policy of most manufacturers and retailers. Cabela's, Bass Pro and others do the same thing as Shiloh. It's a CYA thing, likely advisable by their attorneys.

a percussion rifle is not classified by the BATFE as a firearm. therefore it does not need by law to be shipped to an FFL.
in today's murky political landscape many companies are choosing to require it as a shield from the frivolous lawsuits designed to destroy the industry.
some blue state's have their own requirements that make the problem just that much worse.
it has been close to 15 years since i dealt with Shiloh so i can't offer much there, but i found Lucinda to be very helpful throughout the process.
i would say, if you really want the 1863, and having already given a hefty deposit or paid in full, i would just get a FFl for them to ship it to.

a percussion rifle is not classified by the BATFE as a firearm. therefore it does not need by law to be shipped to an FFL.
in today's murky political landscape many companies are choosing to require it as a shield from the frivolous lawsuits designed to destroy the industry.
some blue state's have their own requirements that make the problem just that much worse.
it has been close to 15 years since i dealt with Shiloh so i can't offer much there, but i found Lucinda to be very helpful throughout the process.
i would say, if you really want the 1863, and having already given a hefty deposit or paid in full, i would just get a FFl for them to ship it to.
Naturally, having already paid $2600, I will pay another $45 to the FFL for the transfer.

NOTE:
As I've said here many times. Some states and areas do require your Muzzleloader be shipped to an FFL.

The antique firearm deal.
Read the next paragraph in the ATF rulings.
If cartridges or ammunition are readily available it ships to an FFL.

Naturally, having already paid $2600, I will pay another $45 to the FFL for the transfer.
cancel the order, void the check, block the CC payment.
@ $2,600 they want to slap you with another $45 for their comfort(?)
Yes they can ship different.
It's what they want to do. I get that part.
It's not what you want to do, I get that part too.
Your topic is about what you want to do. Not what is right or wrong with shipping.
Shipping is the sellers choice whether it's liked or not.
Make your choice, do you want the rifle from the(that) seller or not? It's that simple.
It ain't rocket science, or even needful debate, two parties agree or not,,,(?)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back