• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No, you can't ship black powder pistols or handguns via the USPS.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is still the confusion of 431.3 "antiques (pre 1898) and replicas of antiques". How does that figure into the equation?
The USPS does not care if it is an antique or a replica. If it is a gun you shoot from your hand, they consider it a handgun, and they won't ship handguns to individuals.

I called the following companies to ask how they ship percussion revolvers:
EMF Company - UPS
Cabela's - Does not ship at all
Midway USA - UPS
Dixie Gunworks - UPS or USPS.

In all these past years, my local USPS Branch has never asked me what's in the package. They just ask if anything is flammable or perishable.
This works fine until you have to file an insurance claim. If it turns out you shipped a restricted item, they probably aren't going to pay out.

The confusing part for some is that an unlicensed person can not ship a modern handgun to another unlicensed person.
According to USPS Publication 52 section 431 - any pistol, modern or otherwise, is considered a "handgun", and handguns cannot ship to an unlicensed person.

The folks at the USPS Mailing and Shipping Solutions center confirmed this.

I don't doubt that people have done it, and I don't doubt that half the people at the USPS don't know the regulations.

Dear Mr. Maker,

We wish to thank you for the inordinate amount of time you've invested to date. Your zeal, passion and dedication to the cause is shared by more than you could possibly imagine. Please keep up the good fight. And know you are constantly in our prayers.

Forever Yours,

Sarah Jane Brady

CC: Beto O'Rourke, Joe Biden, Moms Demand Action, Al Sharpton, Lori Lightfoot, J.B. Pritzker, Alvin Bragg and Gavin Newsome.

I don't know why you keep making this dig at me for sharing the regulations for shipping firearms so people don't get burned when they either a) get caught or b) try and file an insurance claim.

I'm as pro-gun as they come. I own scary black rifles. I have shot black powder competitively for over a decade.

I don't like the shipping regulations, either. I think it is ridiculous the hoops being made to jump through for antique firearms. I think it's deliberate to make it as hard as possible so people won't bother.

This doesn't change the rules. People ought to know the rules.

I don't know why you keep making this dig at me for sharing the regulations for shipping firearms so people don't get burned when they either a) get caught or b) try and file an insurance claim.

I'm as pro-gun as they come. I own scary black rifles. I have shot black powder competitively for over a decade.

I don't like the shipping regulations, either. I think it is ridiculous the hoops being made to jump through for antique firearms. I think it's deliberate to make it as hard as possible so people won't bother.

This doesn't change the rules. People ought to know the rules.
All were saying, jokingly, is give it a rest.

You think you're correct in your assumptions.

We think you're incorrect in your assumptions.

Until the USPS spells out the words BLACK, POWDER and REVOLVER it's legal to ship them through the USPS.

According to USPS Publication 52 section 431 - any pistol, modern or otherwise, is considered a "handgun", and handguns cannot ship to an unlicensed person.

The folks at the USPS Mailing and Shipping Solutions center confirmed this.

I don't doubt that people have done it, and I don't doubt that half the people at the USPS don't know the regulations.
I will ask this: Can I send a TC Patriot stock with lock through the USPS? Can I send a Patriot Barrel through the USPS? I suspect that the wedge could go in either package? It is the same as EBAY. You can buy the barrel, and you can buy the stock with all hardware, just not together.

On the other hand, there are levels of stupid that are in fact real. And yes, I know this is not BP. but.......
You can make an AR-15 rifle from a pistol but not the other way around....BUT if you buy the action alone, it is neither,:doh::ghostly::dunno: Just Government rules. But I do have to declare cartridge weapons, there is a form, and a different one for pistols. But nothing for BP.

The USPS does not care if it is an antique or a replica. If it is a gun you shoot from your hand, they consider it a handgun, and they won't ship handguns to individuals.

I called the following companies to ask how they ship percussion revolvers:
EMF Company - UPS
Cabela's - Does not ship at all
Midway USA - UPS
Dixie Gunworks - UPS or USPS.

This works fine until you have to file an insurance claim. If it turns out you shipped a restricted item, they probably aren't going to pay out.
Out of curiosity, I just went to MidwayUSA and put a black powder pistol in my cart. One of the shipping options was USPS Priority Mail.

Yo minish,
I sent their customer service an email yesterday and asked. The answer is that they send by UPS and USPS, who gets the job depending upon which gives the best price for the delivery. And, that when UPS is used the last leg of the delivery is liable to be handled by USPS.

Yo minish,
I sent their customer service an email yesterday and asked. The answer is that they send by UPS and USPS, who gets the job depending upon which gives the best price for the delivery. And, that when UPS is used the last leg of the delivery is liable to be handled by USPS.
Drop the damned mic

Last couple revolvers from midway were ups till the final leg then USPS to my mailbox.
Have another one coming monday they give ups as the shipper same as always.

I have contacted the USPS Mailing and Shipping Solution Center.

I asked them if a black powder percussion pistol (or replica) could be shipped via USPS between individuals. The answer was no.

They said:

"I have been informed these CANNOT be mailed from one private person to another. Restrictions are below from Pub 52. Thank you and have a great day!"

View attachment 243637
Per USPS Publication 52, section 431, Any kind of pistol, antique, replica, modern, or otherwise, is still considered, by the USPS, as a handgun. As such, it falls under restricted materials, and handguns have special mailing requirements (see image above).

It does not matter whether or not the ATF considers black powder guns to be "firearms" or not. What matters it that the USPS considers any gun you hold in your hand to shoot to be a handgun.

Anyone who does not want to believe what is in this thread is encouraged to print out section 431 and 432 of Publication 52 and see your local Postmaster, and ask them:

1) Are black powder pistols (or replicas thereof) considered "handguns" by the USPS.
2) What are the restrictions for mailing a handgun through the USPS.

Or, you can call the Mailing and Shipping Solutions Center:

Talk to a Live Agent Monday-Friday from 7:00am-7:00pm Central at 877.672.0007

I wish this was not so, but it is, and you should know before shipping a black powder pistol via USPS because you probably won't get an insurance claim honored, and you may well run afoul of the law.
Last I checked the USPS is not a law enforcement agency so while they don't ship hand guns that does not make it illegal.

Then post the federal statute.

18 U.S. Code § 1715 - Firearms as nonmailable; regulations​

prev | next
Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried by the mails or delivered by any officer or employee of the Postal Service. Such articles may be conveyed in the mails, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe, for use in connection with their official duty, to officers of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Space Force, or Organized Reserve Corps; to officers of the National Guard or Militia of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District; to officers of the United States or of a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitments; to employees of the Postal Service; to officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States; and to watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District. Such articles also may be conveyed in the mails to manufacturers of firearms or bona fide dealers therein in customary trade shipments, including such articles for repairs or replacement of parts, from one to the other, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe.
Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail according to the direction thereon, or at any place to which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any pistol, revolver, or firearm declared nonmailable by this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.

This forum just experienced a wacky build story, now we have this trash being posted for everybody to read. What do we have a couple of Post Master Generals acting as spokesmen for the USPS, and declaring what you can and cannot do to the forum members? You title a posting saying you cannot do this. Do you like the reaction that your post has? And you keep hammering your point as if you actually desire more than anything but to be right. You made your declaration, have you thought that maybe you should take an attitude that you are not the final word, and possibly miss understood. And should hope that you are wrong.

If you ask a post office can I ship a handgun, sure they will say no. That is the safe answer for them.

If you tell a miss truth enough times it just might become true.

One of the reason we love Muzzle Loaders is the Freedoms that come with ownership. Don't think that you are the teacher of humanity. So please take your BS somewhere else, we don't need this manure.

I will not be replying back as this post is not worthy.

I have contacted the USPS Mailing and Shipping Solution Center.

I asked them if a black powder percussion pistol (or replica) could be shipped via USPS between individuals. The answer was no.

They said:

"I have been informed these CANNOT be mailed from one private person to another.
Well, gee,, at least that bot asked a supervisor bot.
Did you actually "expect" the USPS to say anything different to the mass public?
I mean, honest,, Are they supposed to say;
"Sure, we'll ship gun's to anyone,, anywhere across the country,, go ahead,, no problem."
Calm down friend, it all not a personal attack on ya, and there is no public advice here to circumvent the rules. We understand them and your intent to share cautionary advice.
Folk's are gonna do what folk's do,, and USPS will do what they do.
It's easy,, move on.
6 pages of shooting comrades arguing? THIS is what's causing our problems,,,anyone get it yet?

Last edited:
impalla eating popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back