• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my 5 pounds of 3F Schuetzen from Travelers Antiques and Trading yesterday. I wanted Swiss but there were out. Travelers is the ONLY place that I could find online that had either 3F or 2F black powder in stock. NO one sells black powder anywhere near my home so ordering it online is my only option. I paid $23.00 per pound plus $65.00 Hazmat fee and a $7.50 processing fee for a total cost of $187.50. That's $37.50 per pound and I feel lucky to have gotten it!

Stock up. Yes people are home brewing it but you can still get factory made. I
do not think that an extra 10 lbs is too much. Of course we are all hoping for
prices to drop but with truck shipping going up ,we better accept that it will
not be $12 bucks again--ever.
When I started in this game it was $2.00 a lb. I am lucky in that I have what will be a life time supply since I don't shoot near as much as I would like and still have a case left from our last buy.I go in with my boys and nephews and we buy a case at a time to spread out the haz mat fee.

I haven't purchased powder from a brick & mortar in many years. I've been ordering it from suppliers sometimes going in with a friend to spread the cost. A year ago I ordered from Graf's and I doubt the very reasonable price I paid will ever be with us again.

They buy bulk from Schuetzen and repackage into 1 lb. pound containers marked as Travelers Schuetzen. Other suppliers buy bulk and repackage as well. Jack's Powder Keg used to repackage Goex, and Graf and Son repackages Schuetzen.
I guess I’m unfamiliar… Are the sending a bulk amount of powder in one container (say 25 lbs) and then Travelers puts it in their own 1 lb containers?

They buy bulk from Schuetzen and repackage into 1 lb. pound containers marked as Travelers Schuetzen. Other suppliers buy bulk and repackage as well. Jack's Powder Keg used to repackage Goex, and Graf and Son repackages Schuetzen.

Huh...,
I thought that Graf & Son Simply ordered the powder in the containers, with the labels already fixed in place. I didn't think they had a powder handling facility for repackaging.

LD

Today I went to the local place that has black powder for sale. They had SCHUETZEN.
I bought a pound of FFg and a pound of FFFFg. $39.95 plus tax per pound. What are
you all seeing near your homes?
View attachment 143720View attachment 143721

Order 10 lbs or more from a powder dealer like Powder, Inc., is the only way to go.
Buy as much as you or you and your shooting buddies can afford.
The price is only going to go up due to inflation and availability.

The days of $22 or so per pound are gone forever.
I laid in a lifetime supply a few years ago when it averaged about $19 per pound.

Last edited:
Huh...,
I thought that Graf & Son Simply ordered the powder in the containers, with the labels already fixed in place. I didn't think they had a powder handling facility for repackaging.

LD
I don't know if Graf's has their own repack facility or not, but if not, it is Schuetzen powder packaged for Graf's. You might want to call or email them to find out for sure. If I'm wrong, I humbly apologize and sincerely repent.

I guess I’m unfamiliar… Are the sending a bulk amount of powder in one container (say 25 lbs) and then Travelers puts it in their own 1 lb containers?
I don't know all the pertinent details of how much bulk powder they receive in one container and repack, but you can give them a call and ask if your curious.

I've been getting mine over the counter at Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown, Ky. Schuetzen is $22.99 lb while Swiss is much higher at $31.99 lb. Both are usually in stock when I check online before driving an hour from home to get there. Not seen any 4F lately though for sale but they usually have 2F & 3F in stock.
I've purchased a good amount from them. Best to check before going over there. I was told that their off-site storage area is located on or near a field which can flood and muddy up the access road. Had to wait a few days before product could be moved to store. Good folks to do business with.

I don't know if Graf's has their own repack facility or not, but if not, it is Schuetzen powder packaged for Graf's. You might want to call or email them to find out for sure. If I'm wrong, I humbly apologize and sincerely repent.
???
No, I was just surprised that Graf's might have that elaborate a facility. Lots of liability with repackaging. Not with the function but with possible accidents and the liability to the employees, is all

LD

Received my 5 pounds of 3F Schuetzen from Travelers Antiques and Trading yesterday. I wanted Swiss but there were out. Travelers is the ONLY place that I could find online that had either 3F or 2F black powder in stock. NO one sells black powder anywhere near my home so ordering it online is my only option. I paid $23.00 per pound plus $65.00 Hazmat fee and a $7.50 processing fee for a total cost of $187.50. That's $37.50 per pound and I feel lucky to have gotten it!
I see a big rise in interest in small bore rifles that use less powder and lead coming

Seems like most all the shops are carrying Shutzen in 2F and 3F and that’s all, Around my way south Eastern Pa. Shutzen is going for $27 and change. Seems high but what other alternative is there. Have not Seen any Swiss though.

???
No, I was just surprised that Graf's might have that elaborate a facility. Lots of liability with repackaging. Not with the function but with possible accidents and the liability to the employees, is all

The Graf labelling is probably done in Germany by the manufacturer.

I am a big proponent of the small bores. Definitely a great way to conserve powder and lead while keeping your shooting skills up. I am guessing that once Goex gets up and running again it will take quite a while for production to meet demand as many will purchase larger amounts than they did in past years.

When I started in this game it was $2.00 a lb. I am lucky in that I have what will be a life time supply since I don't shoot near as much as I would like and still have a case left from our last buy.I go in with my boys and nephews and we buy a case at a time to spread out the haz mat fee.

In another year $30 a pound will be a good buy, if you can find it.
With Haz-Mat and shipping fees you can add another $5 per pound if you can still have it shipped to your house.
BUY IT NOW.

Thanks for the heads up on Traders, just ordered 2, 3 and 4F. Ship date is out to 6/20 but at least I know it's coming. Hopefully I get a chance to shoot some more before it gets too dry out here in the Sierra's.

Latest posts

Back