• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying Black Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I guess I paid a bunch for the last pound of Schuetzen FFFg in my local store--$39.00. Worth it to me to just be able to walk in and walk out. Prices are high--very high--$18.00 for 100 1075 caps but they have always been able to supply me and I figure if I avoid paying hazmat and shipping fees for online supplies it is not that bad.

Powder? I can't find any #11 percussion caps (in packs of 100) at a decent price, local (AZ) or online . I can find 1000 packs but that would be a complete waste of money considering how much I get to use the rifle

Last edited:
We have Wano and Swiss with Wano the most available Black here in Australia Wano most grades are $107. A kilo Swiss if you can find it $ 120 A Kilo. Caps CCI No 11 $14. 1000 RWS hard to find now we're $ 33.for 250 .Cheers from Australia

New Zealand, not a #11 cap available that I know of. I was fortunate and picked up a box of 1000 for $200 a while back, that was expensive. Have 200lbs of potassium Nitrate so I`m good for a while.

Powder? I can't find any #11 percussion caps (in packs of 100) at a decent price, local (AZ) or online . I can find 1000 packs but that would be a complete waste of money considering how much I get to use the rifle
Be careful of the online offerings. Many are scams. Check them out before you order if you decide to do that. Nobody has caps but these places can send you 1000 or more?

I bought 5 pounds of Goex Fg for $22 each in May. Swiss was $27 a pound. I bought it from Back Creek Gun Shop near Winchester VA. I was attending the N-SSA Spring National Skirmish. Back Creek adjoins the N-SSA range.

Be careful of the online offerings. Many are scams. Check them out before you order if you decide to do that. Nobody has caps but these places can send you 1000 or more?
Thanks, Ed C. I was suspicious of this "rare availability".
I've actually ordered a #11 Percussion Cap Maker from 22reloader.com. All the videos seem to indicate its a good option - and fun at the same time!

If you're shopping brick n mortar stores, good luck. I get all my holy black at Back Creek in Winchester during our Nationals. When you buy powder by the case + and caps by a 5k increment, cost goes down. I'm getting Swiss for less than you paid for Scheutzen.

Anychance theres a muzzloading club here in southern california? would like to get in on a group buy if possible

I've been getting mine over the counter at Kentucky Gun Company in Bardstown, Ky. Schuetzen is $22.99 lb while Swiss is much higher at $31.99 lb. Both are usually in stock when I check online before driving an hour from home to get there. Not seen any 4F lately though for sale but they usually have 2F & 3F in stock.
Same here. They have been a godsend for powder.

Buy the 1,000 pack, keep what you need, and sell the rest.
Or trade the excess for powder to another shooter.
Always a market for caps. Especially now.

When I started in this game it was $2.00 a lb. I am lucky in that I have what will be a life time supply since I don't shoot near as much as I would like and still have a case left from our last buy.I go in with my boys and nephews and we buy a case at a time to spread out the haz mat fee.
I have an old can of DuPont around here with a 3.98 price tag. Meanwhile, buy as much as you need and maybe pick up an extra pound s when you’re paying for shipping. Or not. Stuff doesn’t go bad and if my kids ended up with a few extra pounds when I’m gone well, ain’t that what an inheritance is for?

Purchased 10 lbs of Travelers Schuetzen 3fg powder. It's Schuetzen's powder repackaged by Travelers and Antiques at $25.40 per pound for shipping, Hazmat and whatever else is charged. Also added 1000 musket caps to help burn it that added another $100.00. So $360 for it all. No one sells the real powder where I live.

Latest posts

Back