• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloading Propellents at Walmart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use black powder all the time. The other day in Walmart there was some Pyrodex RS for sale for $14.50 a pound.
Never used it before, have read that it doesn't fowl as much as black powder but is more corrosive in the barrel.
Next to the RS was a another brand called Blackhorn 209 High Performance Propellent. For the price it should load
itself and pull a PRB down the barrel behind it. A 8oz container is on clearance for $74.00. Normally it sells for
$83.00, for a half a pound. They had 8 of those left and only two of the RS.
Is that a good price for the RS and have many of you tried or use it?

Attachments

• IMG_2561.jpg
    IMG_2561.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2560.jpg
    IMG_2560.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 0
I've used it in revolvers and find it does a good job but as others have said you must clean your gun when done shooting ASAP. Come to think of it you also have to clean when you use real BP.:doh::ghostly:

I keep hearing bad things about Pyrodex and don’t get it. The stuff works and even gives you more loads per pound at a cheaper price. That was the only powder available when I first started muzzle loading 3 years ago and have NEVER had rust issues even cleaning the following day. I bought real BP to see what the difference is and frankly can’t tell.

I keep hearing bad things about Pyrodex and don’t get it. The stuff works and even gives you more loads per pound at a cheaper price. That was the only powder available when I first started muzzle loading 3 years ago and have NEVER had rust issues even cleaning the following day. I bought real BP to see what the difference is and frankly can’t tell.
It's a mostly emotional response I suspect.
😆

Just curious, when you find black powder stuff at Wal-Mart is it in the hunting section or clearance isles? Here at home they put the stuff a little bit of everywhere so it's like an adult Easter Egg Hunt! 🙄
It's in the sporting goods department just down from the counter and next to the BB Guns and
sling shots.

Our locals have ZERO BP stuff. Stopped in the Winslow AZ one yesterday and they do have RS at $22.00 Lb butthat'ss not enough savings for me. I have some already. I did grab 2 packages of cleaning patches @$3 and another capper (to look for when I need it) at $6.00. They didn't even know what caps were.

Our locals have ZERO BP stuff. Stopped in the Winslow AZ one yesterday and they do have RS at $22.00 Lb butthat'ss not enough savings for me. I have some already. I did grab 2 packages of cleaning patches @$3 and another capper (to look for when I need it) at $6.00. They didn't even know what caps were.
Or ... those little copper cups as my step daughter called them. :rolleyes:

I use black powder all the time. The other day in Walmart there was some Pyrodex RS for sale for $14.50 a pound.
Never used it before, have read that it doesn't fowl as much as black powder but is more corrosive in the barrel.
Next to the RS was a another brand called Blackhorn 209 High Performance Propellent. For the price it should load
itself and pull a PRB down the barrel behind it. A 8oz container is on clearance for $74.00. Normally it sells for
$83.00, for a half a pound. They had 8 of those left and only two of the RS.
Is that a good price for the RS and have many of you tried or use it?
if you use pyrodex your barrel will rot into a pile of rust before you get home. you will shoot groups at ten yds that will be 7-8 foot in diameter. if you try to clean it immediately it will take 3 years to get it clean

Latest posts

Back