• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet stuck in barrel - with a twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's better to learn how to do something by attempting it, and practicing it multiple times under controlled conditions, than having to deal with it for the first time in a real-world scenario, where an adverse outcome might have serious consequences.
Practicing something isn’t bad. Yep, the rod breaking did make it more interesting.
Normally the barrel isn’t removed when dealing with a dry ball. With that said, you had a reason to take it apart, as you needed more leverage and needed to be able to put some significant force in pulling.
when you screwed the ball puller in, it may have expanded the ball a bit making it an even tighter fit. Hence the need for more force in pulling it out.
Since it is a pistol the grease option won’t be as messy due to the amount of grease you will use.
I would recommend getting the Co2 ball remover.
It will spit a 54cal ball out a good 10 yards or more… (yep, I’ve done the dry ball thing) I have also had similar results with the screw in ball removers with the exception of the puller pulled right out of the ball. That is when I bought the Co2 ball remover.
When you finally get the ball out clean the barrel reassemble the pistol, and go to the range and shoot it!!

I had a new shooter dry ball at my range not long ago. I had just watched the BPMS video and read about a hundred pages on removing a stuck ball on this forum. I tried trickle the powder down flash hole trick and it made me look as if I was a pro. Only difference was I probably did not get 5 or 10 grains down flash hole. I made sure the ball was seated down firmly before shooting and the rifle only made a little pop. The only time I ever had to use a puller was a stuck ball due to fouled bore and got lucky the puller did not break. GOOD LUCK

Wiscoaster, no need to defend yourself. You made a reasonable decision based on your experiences, which is not necessarily that of others. The safest way since you now have an air gap (and puller, etc in) is to follow the advice of those that say "grease gun" Habor freight , or Co2. . So you'll have the equipment needed in the future when it's done by accident (hopefully), ZEE

A cartridge-firing gun loaded with a powderless cartridge, either deliberately or accidentally, is not the same thing as having a tube with one end blocked off deliberately being loaded with a powderless bullet with no means of removing it, save with tools - and yours busted - or one of the methods outlined to you on previous posts.

You are not the only one with lots of guns that shoot cartridges - even here in UK I have twenty-three.

I'm pleased that you finally admitted that it was your lack of experience with this particular type of firearm - by that, I guess you mean a muzzleloader - that led you to your odd exercise in futility. Well, no, not exactly - you may have learned a number of things from it, first of all making sure that you buy quality gear to go, and secondly, not to try and second-guess the prior experience of literally millions of BP shooters who came before you.

@wiscoaster just ignore the snarky know it alls. What you’ll learn here is not ask questions of these people. Some are helpful, but a greater number are just “me too” snarky trolls.

The grease gun method is probably your best bet. Oh yeah, who made your bullet puller? Was it the standard brass EMC set?

Good luck.

and so now they're both stuck in the barrel along with the bullet they're screwed into,
Oop's, lesson learned,
But, with the amount of time you've spent here defending yourself against the nay-sayers,, you could have had it done already, ;)
Here's a hint,, hover the cursor over a members "blue" name of their posting,, you'll see an "ignore" button, click that,,
It makes reading the forum so much nicer,

I'm going to post what I made from hardware store parts, Home Depot in my case. Give me a few minutes to get pics. They never fail! Never use a factory ramrod for pulling loads! I realize it's too late if you break your rod off but these will be useful for most!

Almost everyone has had a dry ball.
Mine was a few decades back, but quickly resolved.

Mine is a CVA rifle. I pulled the clean out screw and dribbled a few grains of powder. Probably less than 5 grains.
Reinstalled the screw, installed a cap, pointed at a cross tie and fired
It made a Pop, about like opening a champagne bottle. The ball hit the cross tie and bounced back.

If it was Mine, I'd not get too concerned yet. It isn't a hazard now. I'd finish assembly then try what I did in 1980. Be sure and Tamp the ball back on the powder, although 5 grains shouldn't hurt anything.
I was new to muzzleloaders, most people start out that way. 😊

ATTENTION EVERYONE!

You guy's know better, or certainly SHOULD know better.
Advice, Suggestions, Help, Opinions, even Sarcasm are ok.
When you start PERSONAL ATTACKS, you're headed towards a 30 day vacation from here, or a more permanent one.

Not One of Us: even the pious EXPERTS with thousands of posts, has the right to ATTACK others here. Even the self-proclaimed "Experts" weren't Born with one cell of knowledge regarding muzzleloaders. It was gained the same way for most of us, by trial and error.

If you can't refrain from Attacking others, then I certainly will keep it from reoccurring again.

Consider this your LAST WARNING.

GET A C02 Dischager. Best investment in my tool box. It will shoot that sucker out fast so the box or rags or an old sleeping bag is the best target, GET THIS TODAY, Carry in yer pack, yer trunk etc. Be prepared. Google it for muzzleloaders. You will be happier by FAR after the ball is out when you simply put in the tool box vs start he wonderful job of getting a tube of grease out of the barrel (and no it wont "season" the bore).

Logcabinshop.com

Your welcome.

Attachments

• PXL_20230611_153004474.jpg
    PXL_20230611_153004474.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back