• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stubborn Stuck Bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flintlokr posted this pic…
6CD389E3-93EF-4CC6-AEF1-860660004F23.jpeg

Somewhere, a few stuck/ dry ball threads ago , Someone posted using a tubeless valve stem with the rubber still attached…

On a percussion gun it should slip over the nipple and seal and would work on a flint gun bye pressing it against the touch hole..

My small pancake compressor will produce 120 psi, if yours will make 85 and the ball is within 3” of the bore, it should come on out with out much problem.

You mentioned dive tank before, I’m almost certain that is what is used at Friendship National shoots..
I’ve never seen it fall too clear the bore on any gun… And it’s used a bunch there..

Depending on the pan depth on a flintlock some rubber my need trimmed to get the valve stem too seal against the touch hole..

I personally have never tried the valve stem method, but I’ve have had good success with this type air nozzle…
4725B802-092C-4AA3-85F4-F18064256691.jpeg

Make sure too Lube the barrel above the obstruction..

Just another ripple in the puddle…🍺👍

Just a thought. Removing the breech plug is a lot simpler that other things and takes less time. Unless you can use CO2 or tap a little 4f powder into the vent hole.
i am an active RSO on a couple of muzzeloading ranges. I have only seen it a couple of times where the breech plug had to be remove. This was when everything else did not work. It happens.

Don’t doubt your experience, but my question was directed to @flntlokr after they recommended heating the barrel to melt a stuck bullet. Curious about their actual experience.
I had to do that once. I took the barrel off. Took it to our clubs rifle range. Secured it on a bench. Pointed down range. Heated the breech area up it got the lead out.

I had the exact problem before. Your average ball puller can drill straight through rendering them useless. To remedy this; I cut the head off a large wood screw and welded the screw end to an iron rod. It came out without a problem at all. I still will go to a standard ball puller when I encounter a stuck ball, but I kept my creation just in case. Hope this helps.
I will gladly pay you if you would make one of those custom ball pullers for me!

Again, I apologize to the worthy members of this forum for my earlier diatribe. But some of that needed to be said.
Interesting how the 1st negative retort was from someone who hasn't had anything worthwhile to contributing to anything,,,,, that I've found so far.....
Well,,, he did use the $5.80 word, "nuanced" correctly in a sentence once.
But that sentence was telling us something wasn't worth discussing 🙄

I apologize for getting frustrated with people who don't read before running their suck,,,, a completely unreasonable expectation.

...and it's out. Once the hole was too wide for the screw pull I just spent 15 minutes grinding the lead with a couple of sizes of breech scrapers until the remainder of the bullet just gave way and came out on the 58 cal scraper.
View attachment 197932

Thanks again for everyone's help! I've learned a lot from the various posts.
Excellent.
I'm glad your problem is solved.

If only this could now be locked.
Historically this topic generates replies with solution suggestions past this point.

I was out shooting my 58 cal yesterday. Long story short, I was trying some different bullets. The last one I tried was an ashcan shape. I shot one fine, but then the next started going down fine and got stuck halfway down the barrel. Ended up breaking off the wooded end of my range rod trying to get it out. Since I got it home I've put Kroil down the barrel overnight and worked 2 sized pullers to no avail. The pullers come out without the bullet.

Just wanted to see if others have run into this and have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.
If you can’t push it back out the muzzle with CO2 or a compressor set to 100 or 150 p.s.i. take it to a good gunsmith. Let him ruin it if it’s to be ruined, you won’t be so hard on yourself. 😉
I have a little shop compressor that can reach a max of 150 p.s.i. and a rubber air nozzle that fits over the percussion nipple. But if its in there really bad it goes to a pro.
My motto is “if at first you don’t succeed try again, but then give up…..don’t be damn fool about it. 🤣😂😉 worse case scenario is you’ll have a nice wall-hanger.

...and it's out. Once the hole was too wide for the screw pull I just spent 15 minutes grinding the lead with a couple of sizes of breech scrapers until the remainder of the bullet just gave way and came out on the 58 cal scraper.
View attachment 197932

Congrats on being resourceful and removing it without harming your barrel.

Over the years i've removed a big bunch of stuck balls and dry balls. Never encountered a stuck ball that would not seat with a strong metal ramrod and a hammer.

I belive I quoted above that I have. My last one was the worst and it was NOT going down (any more smacking likely would have cracked the wrist). After clean and oil drips etc my drunken mechanic built a slide hammer type thingy and we got it out the bore. Ball had a hole through it. Rather crude but amazing tool he fabricated, should have videoed it!

Congratulations to @tjiann for getting the obstruction out. and safely.

I do have to admit that once, a long time ago, I was faced with the same problem with a stuck ball in my flintlock rifle that I had just built. Bell pullers didn't work, the touch hole was not removable, so the last recourse was to remove the breech plug. It was a traditional breech plug and I had removed that breech plug a number of times to fit it to the barrel. So that worked. I was totally aware of what I was doing and had the tools to prevent harm to the barrel.

I support @Brokennocks suggestion that we ask the moderators to lock this thread. I will utilize the report selection.

Now then let's lock this thread.

Just a thought. Removing the breech plug is a lot simpler that other things and takes less time. Unless you can use CO2 or tap a little 4f powder into the vent hole.
I’ve never done that assuming it was a big deal. Just how easy is that approach? I’ve always assumed it would take 3 men & 1 boy to break it loose.

I’ve never done that assuming it was a big deal. Just how easy is that approach? I’ve always assumed it would take 3 men & 1 boy to break it loose.
Depends on the gun and the tools you have. You need a good vise with fitted inserts to hold the barrel without slippage or marring it. Then you need a big wrench (16" or so), preferably with an adapter made to fit the breech plug so as not to round it off. Then it will be fairly easy. Next you are faced with cleaning the stubborn loctite used on the threads. Upon re installation the face of the plug must seat up airtight but also come to rest in the same place in its rotation as before. With the proper set up, not that big a deal. For me, that would be my last choice before buying a new barrel.

Agree completely that heating a barrel hot enough to melt a stuck bullet is a bad idea, however, it gets recommended often enough here that I figured by now someone has actually tried it. Thought I would ask someone who recommended it how it went for them, if they actually tried it.
Common sense says this is a no go.

View attachment 197932

Idaho Ron’s video on grease gun removal was THE BEST solution to ball removal. I would get the zerk fitting that fits your barrel and put it in your possibles pouch for “if there is a next time” Congrats on winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back