• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning the .32 Kentucky. oops!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re happy, I wouldn’t change anything. As I told you before, I use a tighter combo in my Crockett and did just cone it. But I still need a short starter. I’m happy with how mine it is working and shooting. It’s all good. Fun little guns aren’t they.
My daughter and grandkids are coming in from Michigan next week. I’ll have my grandson shooting it. I just ordered him some shooting glasses. Don’t want a piece of cap hitting his eye.
Indeed. As I have previously posted, I have found that I can shoot this particular Crockett Rifle at least 10 times while out hunting without having to run a cleaning patch down the barrel. Combine that with not having to use a short starter and acceptable hunting accuracy, I don't think will change anything.

Enjoy those grandkids.

Last edited:
Side bar question for you good .32 folks.....what is your maximum range for a consistent "in the black" shot? I don't mean squirrel head shot...just in the black range. Appreciate your thoughts!

Size of black bull?

I don’t shoot my .32 much beyond 25 yards because that is small game range. Realistically 50 yards is probably the typical longer range limit unless there is very little wind or you are really good at reading wind and using Kentucky wind age.

Side bar question for you good .32 folks.....what is your maximum range for a consistent "in the black" shot? I don't mean squirrel head shot...just in the black range. Appreciate your thoughts!
Good question but it will depend on the size of the black. Since I have upgraded my Crockett Squirrel Rifle with different sights, I have not established what my maximum range would be on paper. Some day I might do so but for now, all I care about is how accurate I am at normal squirrel hunting distances. This equates to about 30 yards or so, depending on the position of the squirrel. However, the main factor is how well can I see the target and sights. This varies with light conditions in the darker hardwoods.

That said, I do not think that a 1" group from 40 yards is out of the question on paper while leaning up against a tree for a rest. I have not been able to shoot this ML with a darn from a bench, at least not consistently.

There's a YouTube video out there of a fella that was squirrel hunting with a KY long rifle flint lock. He shot a squirrel in the head from 50 yards.

I can't wait to shoot mine with the new sight. I'm curious what it will do at 100, but the sights will be sighted in for 50 and in. Maybe 30.

I just got a bore scope and found the culprit of what my patch worm caught on.
That protruding vent liner would wreak havoc with any worm device.

IMG_2003.JPG

Yeah, looks like you may want to unbreech that barrel and attack that liner with a small Dremel grinder. If you lived near Kenton, OH, I'd do it for ya.
I have been lucky and only had to do that with some .45 and up barrels. Maybe because my only thing smaller is a .38 revolver cylinder that uses percussion caps?
I sometimes envy you small bore guys, because even a bad day squirrel hunting is one of the best things to do!

I’d pull the liner and take off the excess material or replace it with one shortened to be flush with the bore. It is probably one of the patent type breeches.

Those are the plans. It's not budging at the moment though.
In another thread someone said the .32 doesn't have a patent breech.
I thought it did, but only because the jag was stopping on the liner and the bare cleaning rod was going down an extra 3/8-1/2".

I'll know when I get it removed.

Hey @CapPopper , any trick to getting the liner out?
I'm at the point where it's drill it out, but I do have it soaking and a 1/4" impact on the way.
Mine doesn't have a patent breach. My vent liner is slotted and gets removed pretty often. If it's not slotted it gets more Interesting and will probably result in needing to replace the vent liner. Might try a small easy out (by small I mean tiny) that will fit the hole already in the liner. If it's not crudded in there it may come out. Could also try slotting it with a Dremel and using a screwdriver...... otherwise it will probably be drilling the hole out and easy out it. I still haven't got around to cutting mine down. What with the new job some recent purchases (new unmentionables) 600 pounds of lead I got dirt cheap and how hungry the big flatheads have been so far this year it's managed to slip my mind completely lol

Mine doesn't have a patent breach. My vent liner is slotted and gets removed pretty often. If it's not slotted it gets more Interesting and will probably result in needing to replace the vent liner. Might try a small easy out (by small I mean tiny) that will fit the hole already in the liner. If it's not crudded in there it may come out. Could also try slotting it with a Dremel and using a screwdriver...... otherwise it will probably be drilling the hole out and easy out it. I still haven't got around to cutting mine down. What with the new job some recent purchases (new unmentionables) 600 pounds of lead I got dirt cheap and how hungry the big flatheads have been so far this year it's managed to slip my mind completely lol

I tried to take it out of another Pedersoli before I even shot the gun. I can't remember the reason now.
The gun won.

I'll wait until the 1/4" impact comes in and see if that works. But I sure as heck am not going to leave it sticking in like that. It's causing too many problems.

If it isn’t slotted or uses an Allen wrench, I would get a set of left hand drill bits from Harbor Freight and drill the touch hole larger before using an easy out. You could also try the slotting with a Dremel idea too. Either of those will necessitate a new liner but that is probably a good idea anyway.

The liner may come loose when drill with a left hand drill bit. The enlargement of the touch hole means you can use a bigger easy out if you have to go that route with less chance of it breaking.

I haven't read all of the posts, but what works real well is just a thin long wire and turn a corkscrew to the end of it.

I had this patch eating and jag sticking in a Traditions Crockett I had . . . I'd bet it had the same issue as your picture with too long of a drum screw or some other troll-like issue. It was really frustrating. I only own flint rifles now, not for that reason, I just like them better, but it is one benefit.

I tried again this morning after another round of heat and then soaking overnight.
You could just make out the metal starting to lift in the screwdriver slot, so I stopped.

Tomorrow I'm due a 1/4" impact wrench from Amazon. Last resort before the easy out.
I already ordered the replacement vent liner.

I'm seeing correcting this problem as a big improvement. Not only in cleaning, but in shooting. Every once in a while I'll get one shot that sounds and feels just a little different. That protrusion has to affect the way the charge compresses.

Thanks, @ETipp

I sure didn't expect to see that when I looked in the bore.
That's just plain negligence installing a vent liner that protrudes that way. Of all the things I've read about off the rack imports and experienced myself, this is plain shoddy work and it's costing me money to correct.

Maybe I'll get an email off to Davide :cool:

Latest posts

Back