• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet stuck in barrel - with a twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Now that I've got my Traditions Kentucky percussion pistol barrel done, I thought I'd get some practice with bullets and patches. I cut a patch to size, lubricated it with moose milk, started it and rammed it down the barrel. Ok, so far so good. Now I need to get the bullet out. I have come prepared!! It's for this reason I bought a maintenance rod and some handy attachments, including a bullet puller. So after mounting the barrel in a vise, I screwed in the puller mounted on rod and pulled with all my might. It came an inch or two and stopped. Needing to get a better grip on the rod than I could with hands alone, I clamped a vise grip onto the end. This isn't going to slip off!! Again, pulled with all my might, but with no further movement, I added a bit of torque to the pull and ...

... the damn accessory fitting and bullet puller snapped off where the fitting screwed into the rod, and so now they're both stuck in the barrel along with the bullet they're screwed into, and no way I can think of at the moment to get them out.

So bright ideas are needed!! Thank you!!

Now that I've got my Traditions Kentucky percussion pistol barrel done, I thought I'd get some practice with bullets and patches. I cut a patch to size, lubricated it with moose milk, started it and rammed it down the barrel. Ok, so far so good. Now I need to get the bullet out. I have come prepared!! It's for this reason I bought a maintenance rod and some handy attachments, including a bullet puller. So after mounting the barrel in a vise, I screwed in the puller mounted on rod and pulled with all my might. It came an inch or two and stopped. Needing to get a better grip on the rod than I could with hands alone, I clamped a vise grip onto the end. This isn't going to slip off!! Again, pulled with all my might, but with no further movement, I added a bit of torque to the pull and ...

... the damn accessory fitting and bullet puller snapped off where the fitting screwed into the rod, and so now they're both stuck in the barrel along with the bullet they're screwed into, and no way I can think of at the moment to get them out.

So bright ideas are needed!! Thank you!!
If and I say if there is no powder in, just place a cap on the nipple and try that. Point in a safe direction.

Larry

If and I say if there is no powder in, just place a cap on the nipple and try that. Point in a safe direction.

Larry
No, no powder (!!!!), I did try igniting a few caps with the vent hole on the outside plugged, but it didn't budge a fraction of a millimeter.

.... You deliberately dry balled?
No, the ball was properly rammed with a lubed patch cut to size. The only thing missing was the powder charge. Yes, the ball seated farther down than it would with a powder load, but that doesn't explain why it jammed partway back out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back