• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stubborn Stuck Bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If all else fails, remove the barrel and heat it gently over a flame until the lead melts and runs out the barrel.
And there it is. We have fully reached the worst method of removal. 👏👏👏
I really want to see someone do this then proof the barrel again. And none of this stick it in a hole and pull the trigger with a string. If a guy believes in his method, don't be a coward.
💣💥⚰️🪦

We have a projectile that is badly stuck and now has a big hole in it. We should do the following:

Remove breech and steel rod it out
Heat and melt the bullet out
Put another ball in over the top, then air or grease it out. (this one still confounds me)
Fire it out with powder.

I have an idea! Let's get a witch doctor to spell it out! That's the ticket!

1676234317049.png

If your bullet is stuck half way down and won't go to powder, don't try to shoot it out. It is an obstruction in the barrel. Larger thread screw might not work at this point. If you can unscrew the breech you could drive the bullet out with a metal, not wood, range rod. The closer to bore diameter, the better.

Have you personally heated a barrel hot enough to melt a stuck projectile to remove it?
Bad idea.
Agree completely that heating a barrel hot enough to melt a stuck bullet is a bad idea, however, it gets recommended often enough here that I figured by now someone has actually tried it. Thought I would ask someone who recommended it how it went for them, if they actually tried it.

Agree completely that heating a barrel hot enough to melt a stuck bullet is a bad idea, however, it gets recommended often enough here that I figured by now someone has actually tried it. Thought I would ask someone who recommended it how it went for them, if they actually tried it.
Pretty sure you could heat the barrel hot enough to melt lead, but you would also end up warping the barrel and probably ruining the finish. I gave an air rifle to an old friend once, it had a stack of .177 pellets stuck about midway down the bore. He welded a drill bit to a rod and drilled it out. Not saying that is the way to proceed here, but it worked.

I would just send it to the gunsmith and ask him to remove it. Not like it would cost all that much.

If it’s only three inches from the muzzle it could easily be melted by inserting a heated metal rod. Then scrape the remains out.

Reactions: TDM
3" from the end of the barrel? I'd take a long skinny screwdriver, file or grind a sharp chisel edge on it, open up the hole again and carefully use it to cut the ball as close as possible to the bore and then collapse the thin wall in. Heat the end of the screwdriver or use a malleable rod and bend a little hook on it. Go thru the hole, beneath the ball, snap some vice grips on it and hammer it up. That might even work without collapsing the ball. Smooth the hook part so as not to mar the bore.

I was out shooting my 58 cal yesterday. Long story short, I was trying some different bullets. The last one I tried was an ashcan shape. I shot one fine, but then the next started going down fine and got stuck halfway down the barrel. Ended up breaking off the wooded end of my range rod trying to get it out. Since I got it home I've put Kroil down the barrel overnight and worked 2 sized pullers to no avail. The pullers come out without the bullet.

Just wanted to see if others have run into this and have any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.
I would play it safe and for about $25 you can buy a grease fitting and a hand pump and a grease cartridge. Replace the nipple with the grease fitting and pump away. It is amazing how much pressure the grease pump can produce. Once the bullet is removed, clean out all the grease. And have a kit for next time.

Doesn't anyone read any of the posts before running their mouth (so to speak)?!
How do we get so many repeat suggestions,,, especially repeat suggestions that follow the o.p. saying they tried it and it didn't work,,, or repeat suggestions that have had logic shoot holes in them already.

I'm sorry,,,, heating the barrel to melt the lead out is just asinine.
Please someone explained to me what magic happens when one unscrews the breachplug that the bullet, that is halfway down the barrel, can be "just tapped out" like it's nothing?

I apologize to the reasonable members of this forum,,, but some of the rest you are just freaking ridiculous. I think some of you just post to make your presence known and see your name and something you wrote on the screen.

There are some of you I would love to sit down have a beer or a coffee with and talk with or even just listen to in a few cases,,,, but subjects like this one seem to bring forth a lot of blowhards that make me grateful this is all in writing and I don't actually have to listen to you.

Doesn't anyone read any of the posts before running their mouth (so to speak)?!
How do we get so many repeat suggestions,,, especially repeat suggestions that follow the o.p. saying they tried it and it didn't work,,, or repeat suggestions that have had logic shoot holes in them already.

I'm sorry,,,, heating the barrel to melt the lead out is just asinine.
Please someone explained to me what magic happens when one unscrews the breachplug that the bullet, that is halfway down the barrel, can be "just tapped out" like it's nothing?

I apologize to the reasonable members of this forum,,, but some of the rest you are just freaking ridiculous. I think some of you just post to make your presence known and see your name and something you wrote on the screen.

There are some of you I would love to sit down have a beer or a coffee with and talk with or even just listen to in a few cases,,,, but subjects like this one seem to bring forth a lot of blowhards that make me grateful this is all in writing and I don't actually have to listen to you.
Man, I am sure glad you’re here Brokenneck to straighten everything out!
On the “blowhard” scale, you rank #1

OK, I'm coming back to this thread for my halftime entertainment. Looking for tjiann to tell us he scored a touchdown, got the ball out and how it was done. OMG...what is on the TV right now is absolutely horrid.

Man, I am sure glad you’re here Brokenneck to straighten everything out!
On the “blowhard” scale, you rank #1
Great observation. And by the way, missed your input for the OP about a stuck bullet. It must have gotten deleted or disappeared for some reason. Please repost so we can all see it. Always good to learn from the best. Thank you.

Over the years i've removed a big bunch of stuck balls and dry balls. Never encountered a stuck ball that would not seat with a strong metal ramrod and a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back