• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building short N.W. Trade Gun ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Later I'm gonna weld up all that nasty engraving on the cock and lock plate too then grind it all down and clean it up ....stamp sitting fox on the plate too .... I love how they look after I do that to them . See if I have some pics of this style lock before and after I do that work to it .....let's see .... Here go , two good ones ....both same lock

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230213-221038~2.png
    Screenshot_20230213-221038~2.png
    813.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 800.jpeg
    800.jpeg
    843.2 KB · Views: 0
What is the standard barrel length of a trade gun?
The were ....36" , 42" and 48" . Very early 54" but they were discontinued in 1699, I think it was . They a started making short barreled NW trade guns during the western movement 30-32" being the most popular .HBCo post 1881 records were destroyed in a fire . Rival fur trade companies during the western expansion era were making short barreled copies too

Last edited:
Rob, another beauty. Shows great character! I been to m.o.t.f.t. 2 times in the 1990's. (Trade gun heaven) seen one flinter made 1880's 48 inch barrel looked brand new.

Rob, another beauty. Shows great character! I been to m.o.t.f.t. 2 times in the 1990's. (Trade gun heaven) seen one flinter made 1880's 48 inch barrel looked brand new.

Thanks bud . Its got character all right ! LOL ... I love the Museum of the Fur Trade .I drove out there a few years ago and it was amazing for this Trade Gun loving hillbilly . It was funny seeing the expressions on the young land s face that worked there ....I was so excited ! She didn't know how to take me , LOL ... Love to go back one day but doubt that'll ever happen ... Take care :)

Thanks bud . Its got character all right ! LOL ... I love the Museum of the Fur Trade .I drove out there a few years ago and it was amazing for this Trade Gun loving hillbilly . It was funny seeing the expressions on the young land s face that worked there ....I was so excited ! She didn't know how to take me , LOL ... Love to go back one day but doubt that'll ever happen ... Take care :)
I have been wanting to go there since the early 80s but life always got in the way. Now I am retired and my wife can't travel that long. Do it when you are young enough. If you wait you may never get there.

Later I'm gonna weld up all that nasty engraving on the cock and lock plate too then grind it all down and clean it up ....stamp sitting fox on the plate too .... I love how they look after I do that to them . See if I have some pics of this style lock before and after I do that work to it .....let's see .... Here go , two good ones ....both same lock
I like the color you have on that stock, fan of red!!

I have been wanting to go there since the early 80s but life always got in the way. Now I am retired and my wife can't travel that long. Do it when you are young enough. If you wait you may never get there.
Strange ....dont know if its an old thing or what . I just dont want to travel any where any more . ..and that was never me before . Ive drove across this cou try a few times ,woke up one morning and just for fun decided to go to Canada .... I just have no desire to anymore ... Weird ... Like to hit Lewis Wetzels grave , Brady s grave , Bradys leap , site of Fort Pitt and Michilicamackinaw before the dirt nap ....

Strange ....dont know if its an old thing or what . I just dont want to travel any where any more . ..and that was never me before . Ive drove across this cou try a few times ,woke up one morning and just for fun decided to go to Canada .... I just have no desire to anymore ... Weird ... Like to hit Lewis Wetzels grave , Brady s grave , Bradys leap , site of Fort Pitt and Michilicamackinaw before the dirt nap ....
There are a lot of great places to visit but you are right about traveling. It is a real hassle to go anywhere as you need reservations and then the crowds and don't forget the rude drivers. Thinking about it, I see why you stay home and make trade guns. Good choice!

There are a lot of great places to visit but you are right about traveling. It is a real hassle to go anywhere as you need reservations and then the crowds and don't forget the rude drivers. Thinking about it, I see why you stay home and make trade guns. Good choice!
Yep , I just love historical sights but the desire to leave home is fading fast . I like people as a whole less and less each day , LOL ... Still some good ones out there but .... I'm sittin in a rocker right now , in thecshade , nice breeze , staring at the woods with couple trade guns by me ....pretty darn nice. :)

.... Not too shabby. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230705_111846.jpg
    IMG_20230705_111846.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230705_111836.jpg
    IMG_20230705_111836.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Mr. Rob, you remind me of Mama making biscuits. You can do this $!!’t in your sleep and it turns out beautifully every time. Your ride alongs that you post are just plain fun because your craftsmanship is only outshined by your passion.
D@mn .... Why thank ya JEBM ... That is very kind of ya and made me feel like less of a POS ! LOL ....very kind of ya .I ain't no Ken Netting or Hershel House , by any stretch but I can make an authentic and good workin trade gun , might not be the prettiest one but I just love these trade guns . Nothin fancy just good game getters and ....if ya did it right you can make em really inexpensive , comparatively anyway , which makes me feel so much better about a build . Just seems more down to earth or old timey .... Nothing wrong with folks that got the money and their two rifles are worth more than my house , no exaggeration either , but ...that lowly ole smooth bore smoke pole hangin on my wall ....its got a buildin story , huntin stories and is responsible for the deer cooking on the fire . I just love it ....esp. when I can get folks to build one for themselves .... Sorry for yammerin on ...I get into it and dont know when ta stop ! LOL ....take care bud :)

Latest posts

Back