• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Build a N.W. Blanket Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just gettin started on this Blanket gun ..... I cut the .58 barrel to 20" at his request ,left the stock about half. Length , drilled and tapped the breech for the breech plug , cut the wood to barrel length too ....its the cherry I was going to use for my N.W. gun but decided not to use it as the wood at the buttplate area was gone and didnt want to splice it a piece/ chunk so worked out. well . Got her started

Attachments

• IMG_20230823_184227.jpg
    IMG_20230823_184227.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230823_184232.jpg
    IMG_20230823_184232.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230823_181154.jpg
    IMG_20230823_181154.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230823_191952.jpg
    IMG_20230823_191952.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230823_192004.jpg
    IMG_20230823_192004.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow, and I thought 26" was short! I bet this one comes in under three pounds. Brass or iron furniture?
I actually think 20" is too long but ...not my gun . I'll post a pic of a NW blanket gun I recently picked up on trade with 14" barrel ,but much too heavy ...but its a North Star so sentimental value. ....Yeah , it'll be d@mn light , the one I'm making . It'll have forged iron trigger guard ,cast brass side plate , brass ramrod pipe , iron trigger ....

Last edited:
Just gettin started on this Blanket gun ..... I cut the .58 barrel to 20" at his request ,left the stock about half. Length , drilled and tapped the breech for the breech plug , cut the wood to barrel length too ....its the cherry I was going to use for my N.W. gun but decided not to use it as the wood at the buttplate area was gone and didnt want to splice it a piece/ chunk so worked out. well . Got her started
And another to follow,super ,remember the little things matter.👀👍

Do you thread all your barrels with a tap, as opposed to a lathe? Just assumed a lathe was the way to go.
Lathe is definitely the way to go , so much easier but I dont have a big shop , I'm off grid , make enough electric for lights , and I dont have few thousand bucks to spare so I breech these unbreeched barrels by hand . ...all old school style building here at the homestead :)

Last edited:
This is gonna be a short post me thinks..what is the purpose of the lug at the breach on those little shot gun barrels.Are they like a counter weight for recoil.
The flat spot on the bottom ? These are 100+ year old barrels that were originally made to be double barrels ,were never finished ....the flat spots there is where the two barrels were put together then soldered together to become a double barrel .

Back