• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Boot Knives At An Event.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
redwing said:
Why not? The fighting Scotch Irish folks carried knives in their stocking tops.
I'm sure that would be fine, as long as you portrayed a Scotch Irish and wore stockings.

The problem comes when "mountainmen", dressed on orange buckskin, carry them and use the excuse, "The Scotch Irish carried them, so it could have happened". :grin:

If you are doing Civil War and belong to a Civil War reenactment unit you might consider asking the unit leadership. There are normally pretty stringent guidelines about what is acceptable and what is not.

Curtis Makamson said:
If you are doing Civil War and belong to a Civil War reenactment unit you might consider asking the unit leadership. There are normally pretty stringent guidelines about what is acceptable and what is not.
I am one of the unit leadership.

redwing said:
Why not? The fighting Scotch Irish folks carried knives in their stocking tops. These folks had been using leg mounted cutlery for 100s of years before moveing to America. They had a great influence on the American warrior. :thumbsup:

:idunno:

Maybe you are thinking Highland Scots who wore sgian dhus in their stockings during the Celtic Revival of the 19th c.?

The ancestor of the sgian dhu was longer and usually referred to as a sgian achlais or armpit knife. Not worn in the stocking (hose). Also worn by Highlanders. Not the same as Scotch-Irish. :wink:

Dispatch said:
Curtis Makamson said:
I am one of the unit leadership.
This would be an opportunity for you and your co-leaders to form a policy regarding them. You might make a survey of the hosts of events you attend inquiring about their rule(s) regarding blades of any kind during simulated skirmishes. That could be a factor.

No, no don't get me wrong. Its not for me or any member of my battery. This was brought up at our last event by another unit member. Noone in my unit has them. To be honest, in all our years we never even thought about them before this. This was just an issue I was continuing on from when we talked about it around the camp fire a couple of weeks ago.

OK. I’ve been doing CW for 17 years. Periodically, handguns, sabers, two banders, and even the much ballyhooed Confederate D-guard knives have become issues at one time or another. This is usually after someone does something dangerous while being foolish. These kinds of safety matters are normally followed by across the board restrictions. So far boot knives have not been an item of discussion off down here. Who knows? Any day now those things may suddenly pop onto the screen.

Dispatch said:
No, no don't get me wrong. Its not for me or any member of my battery. This was brought up at our last event by another unit member. Noone in my unit has them. To be honest, in all our years we never even thought about them before this. This was just an issue I was continuing on from when we talked about it around the camp fire a couple of weeks ago.
If you want to play with a boot knife, then go for it As a member of the permission board, you got that covered.

Curtis Makamson said:
OK. I’ve been doing CW for 17 years. Periodically, handguns, sabers, two banders, and even the much ballyhooed Confederate D-guard knives have become issues at one time or another. This is usually after someone does something dangerous while being foolish. These kinds of safety matters are normally followed by across the board restrictions. So far boot knives have not been an item of discussion off down here. Who knows? Any day now those things may suddenly pop onto the screen.
No sh :cursing: :cursing:. Remember a few years ago at the 135th Gettysburg, the guy shooting real holes into his units beautiful, expensive silk flag to give it more of a realistic look, thus setting it on fire? And that schmuck Cavalrymen from France that said he had a borrowed pistol, he shot at someone, with a live lead round in one of the chambers? He almost sank the entire hobby for all of us, single-handedly. :shake:

Yeah, I was present at the 135th Gettysburg when that shooting accident occured. We were waiting to hear if the event was going to continue or get canned. That incident brought about documented weapons inspections that still have to be submitted to higher prior to the start of any skirmish. Wait until some imbecile cuts himself with a boot knife and that will be added to the weapons inspection listing.

Gentlemen,
I was at the 135th as well. I am cavalry, but walked with the 6th Mo. Inf (Confederate)since I didn't want to schlepp my horse that far.
We heard about the shooting that evening. Often I have worried a tad when I have seen folks aim at me....
As to knives, I figure it was done, so if someone wants too, why not. However, the added weight of the knife on the boot shaft will often cause it to smush down on an ankle.

Strange how something that follows the result of just ones negligence, can dictate the future outcome for the entire hobby.

I think thats why I stick with civ war reenacting and BP weapons. I thought about WWII, but I start to pucker up with the ammo used. Have you seen how close it is from crimped blanks to one with a bullet in it? Thats all you need is some yahoo, who went to a range and fired at targets and forget to pull out the remaining rounds and toss a few blanks on top. Just the thought casues me to pucker, especially when some of those fellers are barely of legal age.

First off, I don't carry a boot knife... AND I do not allow schmucks to point any kind of weapon at me. I do not do recreations of any battles, too many ********* out there...These reproduced historically correct firearms are capable of shooting projectile which makes them weapons. SO, Ya don't want to point them at me cuz there will be a serious issue. I think they should ban all fake battles except the ones the SCA puts on, I will watch a bunch of fairy warriors beating each other with sticks...

Until after the CW every fight ended in a knife fight. The bayonet was still considered the basic infantry weapon and the intent was to rush more troops at the enemy than they could shoot, so your people could stick sharp pointy things into their people. Extra knives were extra insurance, always have been.

No matter what the era, what the custom or what the rules, if you pick up a line soldier, turn him upside down and shake him hard a knife and a pistol will fall out from somewhere.

When I was in combat I caried three knives at all times. Two of them were intended to be weapons, and one of them was strapped to my boot. When you have been knocked to the ground and are rolling out of harms way that is the best place to have it.

Lostinthewoods said:
and one of them was strapped to my boot. When you have been knocked to the ground and are rolling out of harms way that is the best place to have it.

I'll bet the other one was strapped to your web gear hanging upside down on your chest. Also accessible while rolling out of the way.

Lostinthewoods said:
Until after the CW every fight ended in a knife fight.

When I was in combat I caried three knives at all times. Two of them were intended to be weapons, and one of them was strapped to my boot.
Well, there's documentation and there's opinion. Thanks for yours.

I cannot see how it would differ from a knife and sheath tucked into a sash or anyother type/way of carrying a knife,I just do not see any reason to set any different standards on pieces of gear or "practices"with the exception of functioning 18th or 19th century grenades or obviously dangerous period loading practices.

"First off, I don't carry a boot knife... AND I do not allow schmucks to point any kind of weapon at me. I do not do recreations of any battles, too many ********* out there...These reproduced historically correct firearms are capable of shooting projectile which makes them weapons. SO, Ya don't want to point them at me cuz there will be a serious issue. I think they should ban all fake battles except the ones the SCA puts on, I will watch a bunch of fairy warriors beating each other with sticks."

Now that was insightfull and very helpfull towards reaching a concensus of sorts on opinions about the original topic, by all means stop all re-enacment battles! :rotf:

tg said:
I cannot see how it would differ from a knife and sheath tucked into a sash or anyother type/way of carrying a knife,I just do not see any reason to set any different standards on pieces of gear or "practices"with the exception of functioning 18th or 19th century grenades or obviously dangerous period loading practices.

"First off, I don't carry a boot knife... AND I do not allow schmucks to point any kind of weapon at me. I do not do recreations of any battles, too many ********* out there...These reproduced historically correct firearms are capable of shooting projectile which makes them weapons. SO, Ya don't want to point them at me cuz there will be a serious issue. "I think they should ban all fake battles except the ones the SCA puts on", I will watch a bunch of fairy warriors beating each other with sticks."

Now that was insightfull and very helpfull towards reaching a concensus of sorts on opinions about the original topic, by all means stop all re-enacment battles! :rotf:
Couldn't have said it better myself. Whew! :youcrazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back