• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ya' never know what's up there.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good friend of mine and his son were lion hunters. I never did hunt them though I’d kill them if they showed interest in calves. Anyway, Frank always had a freezer full of the stuff since very few of the ”sports” are interested in eating lion. I think it’s delicious, fair tender, mild flavor, the other, other white meat. It’s obviously leaner than pork but anyone who can produce decent pork chops would be able to manage some fine table fare with lion chops. (Hint, cut them thick!) slather with Mustard, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, and a bit of chipotle, marinade a minimum of 4 hours, 24 is better. Sear on a hot skillet or coals, flipping twice until the thermometer registers 130 degrees. Enjoy!
Alf liked kitties😉 would not mind trying it.

Saw one of these once....dangerous as...just ask Sylvester. Anything with two heads HAS to be dangerous
1689645553054.png

Oh my. Must be a city boy. 😉
A little bit of a whoose. Funny story...off subject...hope I don't get in trouble. We were looking for rattlesnakes in Southern Calif. to photograph. The grass was very tall and he was afraid of stepping on a rattlesnake. I told him, "Come on, trust me, we are snake hunters. We're not going to step on any rattlesnakes". Twenty minutes later he steps on a rattlesnake! I can't ever again use that "trust me" phrase with him.

Where I live in MT, 30 years ago the Federales, as we like to call them, [US Fish & Wildlife] were insistent that there were no wolves in our mountains. Then, they put up a sign out where we hunt to remind us that it was a federal offense to kill one. Hmmm....
Now they are out of control. Whodathunkit ? Brilliant ! SW

And, BTW, there are plenty of coyotes around. Been retired for several years but back when I drove into Philadelphia some nights for work I would see them around the waterfront. Plenty of fat rats there for them to live on. Don't see as much coyote here in the country. Guess between the raptors, farm dogs, barn cats and people with guns they don't dine well out here.
The Interstate Highway system enhanced the spread of coyotes way beyond their usual habitat.

3 Eared , and Solanco , Guess the Interstate highway system might have aided the spread of coyotes here in Pa.. Witness I know , said he actually saw a truck , and talked to the lost driver , that was asking directions , heading to be unloaded , in the Pa. north woods. Another friend had a brother , that got to witness an actual truck unloading of out of state imported coyotes , in Pa. This all circa , yr. 2000+. I've lost all faith in the state agency sponsering this nonsense.

3 Eared , and Solanco , Guess the Interstate highway system might have aided the spread of coyotes here in Pa.. Witness I know , said he actually saw a truck , and talked to the lost driver , that was asking directions , heading to be unloaded , in the Pa. north woods. Another friend had a brother , that got to witness an actual truck unloading of out of state imported coyotes , in Pa. This all circa , yr. 2000+. I've lost all faith in the state agency sponsering this nonsense.
Here in Maryland the DNR and blackwater Refuge have released truckloads of coyotes to control deer populations..

Been a good while since I've had a lot of faith in state agencies.

No local police so we rely on PA State Troopers. I do have faith in them. Good people. Quiet. Alert. No BS just get the job done.

We get some good size critters out here.
View attachment 301772
That's a Bear print. The Bear will overlap their prints to look like a single large print. However, here you can see both the forepaw and the rear paw. The forepaw toe is nest to your thumb. The rear foot is the large front print. That is certainly a good-sized Bear you have there. About a 300 pounder. Semper Fi

We have a road that cuts through water shed property and state game lands. My wife is a nurse and a couple of nights a week does high tech pediatric homecare. She uses this road to avoid the whackers who drive the state highway way too fast. It's full of pot holes, so the won't use it. Anyway one morning she was coming home when she sees this black animal crossing up ahead of her. At first she thought it was a small black bear. Then she saw the long tail, and it turned to face her and it was a cat. When she told me I called the state lame commission. I was told that it couldn't be, so I asked incase it was and came on my property and became aggressive to me or my pets could I shoot it. She told me that i would have to prove that it became aggressive. So i asked her how could I do that, maybe hold a seance and question it? She hung up.

Great story Marine. I used to live in McKean county PA, and I've seen a mountain lion, broad daylight, no mistaking it. Have never found their tracks in snow, but I know what I saw. I will tell you this though, I shoot pool with a retired deputy game warden and he told me the state released coyotes, and mountain lions, and fishers by breeding pairs. Mostly from pressure and kickbacks from major auto insurance companies to decrease deer numbers. Remember when there was no open season on porcupines? And now you can shoot them. The fishers were released in breeding pairs PRIOR to Porkies being fair game. And fishers kill a lot of fawns and turkeys. He told me he wasn't enough of a politician to understand why the PA Shame on you commission lies about simple things like that. Ever notice a lot of guys in PA actually believe them that there are no mountain lions in this state. That to me is weird.

I went hiking down the Peace River Monday here in Southwest Florida to shoot my 1863 pocket model.

Sitting on the bank under a shade tree contemplating my next Target, I hear something a couple of hundred yards or so behind me that didn't register it first until I sat and kept listening to it..... I thought I'll be damned if that doesn't sound like a lion...

Then I remembered that there is indeed a big cat refuge in that region. Yep, I was listening to a real live African lion bellowing. I thought to myself I sure hope they have that cat in a strong cage because if I had to shoot at him with this 31 caliber round ball that would be the last thing I ever did in my life. Lol.

Fortunately, the cat never made its way down to me or the river.

I couldn't imagine actually being faced with such a cat with nothing but a pea shooter.

If I was really fortunate the animal might avoid me on account of the nauseating smell emanating from my britches rapidly filling full of fecal matter.

Last edited:
Back