• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowing down the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to be clear, are people blowing down the barrel before or after loading.
Unless we're discussing the "Darwin Principal", I believe we're talking about ensuring the spark path is clear immediately after a shot to prevent a misfire on the next shot.

Anyone who blows into a loaded barrel can do us all a favor by removing themselves from the Gene pool. :)

Unless we're discussing the "Darwin Principal", I believe we're talking about ensuring the spark path is clear immediately after a shot to prevent a misfire on the next shot.

Anyone who blows into a loaded barrel can do us all a favor by removing themselves from the Gene pool. :)
Keeping the fouling soft is the only reason I do it.

Just to be clear, are people blowing down the barrel before or after loading.
Before loading, right after the shot
One can’t blow down a loaded gun
Obviously that’s beyond unsafe. But on a practical side, a patch and ball make a hard seal in the bore. There is blow by when shot, but that’s under thousands of pounds per square inch of pressure. Wads in a smooth bore won’t be as tight as a patched ball. However even that is a gas tight blockage.
One could blow with all ones might.
A trumpet player could blow with all his might
The angel Gabriel himself could blow and get no where near the pressure needed to blow down a loaded barrel.
Now if you were stupid enough to put a loaded gun in your mouth and blow the loaded gun, if it had a slow hang fire might go off. It would not go off by fanning the ember.
Just for an experiment after you have shot a range day, and you have cleaned your gun. A qt or more of water, dry patches, and oiled patch, your gun is an empty tube.
Now patch your jag, with an oiled patch, run clean to the breach, make sure there is nothing in the gun, withdraw the jag till you can just see it. Unscrew and leave in the bore, and now blow. You won’t move any air, you haven’t the king capacity to blow past even the relatively loose fit of you jag.
How could you blow past a tight PRB?

I finally shot my new Brown Bess carbine tonight. Eleven times with the paper cartridges I made today. I blew down the barrel after each shot. It seemed the safe thing to do.
Don't ask me how I was priming it ;)

Obviously that’s beyond unsafe. But on a practical side, a patch and ball make a hard seal in the bore. There is blow by when shot, but that’s under thousands of pounds per square inch of pressure. Wads in a smooth bore won’t be as tight as a patched ball. However even that is a gas tight blockage.
The angel Gabriel himself could blow and get no where near the pressure needed to blow down a loaded barrel.
Now if you were stupid enough to put a loaded gun in your mouth and blow the loaded gun, if it had a slow hang fire might go off. It would not go off by fanning the ember.
Just for an experiment after you have shot a range day, and you have cleaned your gun. A qt or more of water, dry patches, and oiled patch, your gun is an empty tube.
Now patch your jag, with an oiled patch, run clean to the breach, make sure there is nothing in the gun, withdraw the jag till you can just see it. Unscrew and leave in the bore, and now blow. You won’t move any air, you haven’t the king capacity to blow past even the relatively loose fit of you jag.
I can bet that the Angel Gabriel would blow out the breach plug... :)

Don't take things so seriously, I just thought 12 pages, how freaking far can we take this. lol

Improper blowing down the barrel without proper cool down time....

8091b581-b98e-4cdd-b574-97480d469f53_text.gif

I just read this entire thread and not one of you mentioned the dangers of blowing down the barrel when out hunting in cold winter temperatures and the chances of getting your tongue stuck to the muzzle like Ralphy did on the flag pole. Now double dog dare me to start a new thread on it.

This can't be real! No, I'm not referring to you @tenngun . @Flintlock , yes folk are blowing down the barrel AFTER the shot!!!!

I have been shooting percussion muzzleloaders since 1985. I have never blown down the barrel and I have never had a problem.

Yeah, it serves no real purpose. But it’s better than talking about blowing down the barrel.
Or stuck balls, powder charges, 4f in big bores, round, square, or cut at muzzle...........wait......if we don't argue about all of this........what will we discuss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back