• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hang Fires - Flintlock and Caplock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple days ago I read story, here I believe, about a hunter who'd shot at a deer, had a misfire and then had his gun fire 15 seconds later. He reported it was quite a scare, I bet so. I can't recall specifically, I tried to locate the post again to no avail, but I think the gun was a caplock. No matter the type of firearm involved I believe I've always heard to keep it pointed in a safe direction for a full minute before assuming it is safe.

Fifteen seconds is a long time after a misfire for a gun to have gone off. It begs the question what others have experienced or witnessed when it comes to delayed ignition after a misfire. It seems to me this is important information that should be shared. Personally I've never had a misfire that resulted in a discharge for more than a split second. Please share your experience with misfires that resulted in delayed ignition, it might save someone from injury. I intend to be more mindful of the one minute rule.

Oh, one I witnessed that thankfully didn't result in injury or death. At a match a flintlock shooter who had a misfire and immediately looked down the barrel of his rifle. Every one who saw this immediately yelled at the guy to stop. What he expected to see looking down the barrel is beyond me.

You're right, 15 seconds is long time for a hangfire. I've had them, but nothing like that. Good follow through is important.

I always worry about this but have never seen it. I used to have a lot of hangfires when I was learning how to use a ML back in high school.

I always worry about this but have never seen it. I used to have a lot of hangfires when I was learning how to use a ML back in high school.
I've done it intentionally sort of, seeing how many accurate shots I could get off before things go south. I think at that point, it was too much crud to get a good seat on the powder, not a fouled nipple.

The only hang fires I've ever had were from shooting surplus 1938 manufactured Nazi 8x56R ammo through my M95. All part of the fun shooting surplus military ammo, I suppose. I've never considered a second or two with a flintlock to be a hang fire. Just part of the process. 15 seconds is really long, though; something going on there. 30 seconds is about as long as I ever hold if delayed ignition is suspected, and I've never had a problem with that approach.

Latest posts

Back