• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowing down the barrel youtube video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbelding

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ever since 1992 when the NMLRA formally frowned on blowing down a muzzloader's barrel this has been a controversial subject. Because the different opinions are fundamentally based on each person's personal 'values' there will never be agreement. I have put together a video on muzzleloader safety including blowing down the barrel. The technical quality is what you expect to get when the producer, director and actor are all a set of amateurish clowns but hopefully the 'pro' side of the subject is presented successfully.

Seems to me that blowing down the barrel to extinguish a smoldering patch is a strange decision since oxygen is usually introduced to make smoldering items catch fire.

Sticks. Leaves. Campfires. Charcoal. Foundries. Etc.
Smoldering embers isn't why you blow down the barrel. You do it to keep fouling soft.

Seems to me that blowing down the barrel to extinguish a smoldering patch is a strange decision since oxygen is usually introduced to make smoldering items catch fire.

Cut a two small pieces of char cloth, both the same size, say a half inch square. Touch a hot wire to the edge of each. Both will now glow and smolder. Now time how long it takes to go out having burned up the char. One is just glowing while you blow forcefully on the other. One will glow for several seconds the other puffs all out quickly
Blowing on an ember can blow it to flame but also quickly extinguishes it.
Blowing opens the touch hole proving there is nothing to block the flame from the prime, this works also on cap guns
Blowing humidifies the fouling and keeps it soft, these are the reasons to blow down a barrel, but if there is an ember, keep in mind how small such an ember would be, it quickly blows it to life using up all the available fuel in a quick burst of air.
Not doing it is a matter of appearance not safety.

I was going to mention checking the touch hole for fouling and speeding up the consumption of ember fuel but find myself growing weary of the comments from the "wipe every time, prick every time" crowd.
It’s rare that I prick, last time I can remember was at the southwestern In Leslie Arkansas in 2013 or 14, but I do wipe between shots. Most of the time, sometimes I shoot a string then wipe.
The best way is what works for you

Interesting topic than tends to get folks’ panties in an uncomfortable knot. As a youngster I was taught to blow down the barrel after each shot. In the early 1970s at the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch while shooting muzzleloaders we were shown the technique of blowing down the barrel. It was the gold standard of the day. Personally can only remember one actual hang fire, maybe a five to ten second delay. The very same shooter had recently admitted to a dry ball situation. They were advocates of blowing down the barrel. Remember asking how they were sure the gun had fired if they got confused on whether there was powder and a patched ball in the bore. Silence. No answer. I have not blown down the barrel since.

People jump out of perfectly airplanes every day. Others despise helmets while riding motorcycles. Some see no issues with smoking. I worked with a gentleman that would argue the benefits of smoking (this was in the 1980s) until he passed from lung cancer. I know a few who will not wear seat belts. All comes down to personal choice. As long as you don’t mess up my day, have at it. Whatever you do is your personal choice.

Last edited:
I had one flintlock rifle, that for some reason had more reliable ignition if I blew down the barrel. Other methods, not doing anything, using a vent prick, inserting a toothpick while loading, were all slightly more prone to a flash from a block touch hole. None of my other flinters had this quirk.

LD

I have never seen black powder explode unless it was confined? I have tested powder in little pilesand none has ever exploded? I also think that blowing down a barrel is not needed?

I had one flintlock rifle, that for some reason had more reliable ignition if I blew down the barrel. Other methods, not doing anything, using a vent prick, inserting a toothpick while loading, were all slightly more prone to a flash from a block touch hole. None of my other flinters had this quirk.

LD
Personally, I would recommend against trying to stick anybody's CENSORED in the vent, but maybe there is something I need to learn?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back