• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big hands

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dispatch 510

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok fellows. I have large hands and am looking for a c&b revolver. Would really like a 36 cal if possiable,but will settle for a 44. Which one has the better grips for my big mitts. Thanks :hatsoff:

I have the same problem. I've found the grip on the Colt 1860 to be the most comfortable for size and balance. Having said that, I shoot the Remington 1858 (mine is made by Pietta) at least as well even though it only gives me a three finger grip and is a but crowded between the grip and the trigger guard.

If at all possible, try handling the various models and calibers. It made a big difference in my selection. Good luck with the search.

Jeff

I agree on the Colt grip, the Remington cramps my second knuckle between the grip and triggerguard, like both the weight and recoil are centered on that knuckle. But avoid the 1862 Colt, they have really tiny grips, go with the 1851 or 1861.

I've never quite decided where the Ruger Old Army fits into the cap & ball scene. It is a much better built gun than the Italian revolvers but it isn't a replica of any original C&B revolver, it's big and heavy and "modern looking". It's kinda like the inlines, yes they work great but is that really the point? For myself I'd sooner get a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero .45 Colt and shoot blackpowder handloads. :haha:

I had the same qualms until I owned one. The price was very, very right due to the fact that some yahoo had decided stainless revolvers didn't need cleaning. When the gun came to me, it had an unfired blued cylinder, and the inside of the stainless barrel looked like 40 miles of bad road.

I took it home, scrubbed the barrel, and found that it looked like new - pyro fouling and leading was all it was. I wonder if they tossed the cylinder w/o trying to clean it.

Anyway, it turns out that this one is trying out for most accurate handgun I own. At twenty yards, I can get 6-shot groups with an OUTSIDE diameter of less than an inch at 20 yards. Not consistently - my eyes aren't that good, and I don't have a machine rest - but WAY to frequently for it to be just a fluke. This is with Speer .457" swaged balls, and enough Goex 2F to just be able to seat a greased wad and the ball. I had 4-5 boxes of those balls that I had been given. Next up is to try some of my home cast, and maybe some conicals.

I like my Remmy's, I LOVE my '61 Navy's, but I will never be without at least one ROA. And this one is not for sale.

The 1851/1861/SAA ("Navy" grip) and 1860 ("Army" grip) follow the same basic pattern. The 1860 is just longer and unless you have HUGE mitts, has enough room for all your digits. Large hands do not preclude the Navy gripped sixguns, just tuck that pinky under like God and Sam Colt intended.

CoyoteJoe,
I always thought of the Ruger Old Army like the T/C Renegade: they aren't specific copies of historical arms but they function the same way. The in-lines are clearly the spawn of Satan, (Sorry for the understatement.) :grin:

BTW, the Vaquero in 45 Colt does a great job with BP cartridges.

Jeff

I know you posted this a couple of days ago and you got a lot of great relpies. I too have a little larger than normal meat hooks. I have Remington's and Colt's. The Colts seem to fit better in my hand and are just friendlier for me to use. Both the Remington's and Colt's are the same in accuracy. I would suggest going to a gun store, gun show or just using friends various revolvers to see what fits your hand the best and what you are comfortable shooting. My boy (11yrs) with small hands can heft and shoot my Walker Colt to keep competition with a lot of adults so you never know until you get it in your hands.

Back