• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

UPDATED 1860 Army and 1858 Remington

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinky

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would like to start by saying that I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all share here. It has helped me a lot in trying to understand what the heck my ma sent me for Christmas. I do believe that I have on my hands now to be a Navy Arms Co. 1860 Colt Army (thank you hawkeye2 for helping with identification) that is a Pietta produced in 1963 and a Navy Arms Co. 1858 Remington .44 cal that is also a Pietta from 1978. Without you all here I do not know how long it would have taken me to acquire that amount of knowledge. This post is mainly to confirm what my findings have been and also allow for any comments or questions someone more knowledgeable than myself may have. Again can't thank yall enough. (edited to add photos of date and production marks)

Attachments

• IMG_20231225_132136075.jpg
    IMG_20231225_132136075.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231225_132438915.jpg
    IMG_20231225_132438915.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231228_102050603.jpg
    IMG_20231228_102050603.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231228_103222411.jpg
    IMG_20231228_103222411.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The revolver in the case is an 1860 Army, .44 caliber. The 61 Navy is .36 caliber and does not have a rebated cylinder. Both are great finds regardless.
Thank you very much for the correction, this has been a crash course on firearms that I never expected to take. I am pretty well versed with modern stuff but this is a completely different animal. I do have more detailed shots of them if you or anyone would like to see.

Are you sure they were made by Pietta? I think the Navy Arms stuff was made by Uberti, I know my early 60's Navy Arms Rem is a Uberti.

Are you sure they were made by Pietta? I think the Navy Arms stuff was made by Uberti, I know my early 60's Navy Arms Rem is a Uberti.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I had mistaken the proof marks for manufacturers. I will be disassembling them this weekend and will hopefully get this all sorted.

I would like to start by saying that I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you all share here. It has helped me a lot in trying to understand what the heck my ma sent me for Christmas. I do believe that I have on my hands now to be a Navy Arms Co. 1860 Colt Army (thank you hawkeye2 for helping with identification) that is a Pietta produced in 1963 and a Navy Arms Co. 1858 Remington .44 cal that is also a Pietta from 1978. Without you all here I do not know how long it would have taken me to acquire that amount of knowledge. This post is mainly to confirm what my findings have been and also allow for any comments or questions someone more knowledgeable than myself may have. Again can't thank yall enough. (edited to add photos of date and production marks)
The pistol in the red lined case is a 1963 dated .44 caliber 1860 Army (rebated cylinder) made for Replica Arms in El Paso, Texas and made by ASM, Uberti, or Pietta. ASM supplied a lot of the early pistols. Leonard Allen owned Replica Arms at that time (1962-65). Replica Arms was the first company to import a model 1847 Walker reproduction (1962) which was made by ASM.

Replica Arms was bought and moved to Marietta, Georgia in 1965.

The pistol in the Navy Arms box is a 1978 dated .44 caliber 1858 New Model Army made for Navy Arms in Ridgefield, New Jersey and made by Uberti or Pietta. Val Forgett owned Navy Arms. Interesting thing on this pistol is it has the Replica Arms company logo on the box and left side of the barrel next to the Caliber .44. That means it is a transitional pistol from when Val Forget bought Replica Arms (1973/74) and moved it from Marietta, Georgia to Ridgefield, New Jersey. Probably says Navy Arms Ridgefield, New Jersey on the top of the barrel but has the Replica Arms logo on the side. There are some that have the Replica Arms on the barrel with the Ridgefield, New Jersey address. These are kind of scarce. Even the ones with the Navy Arms on the barrel and Replica Arms logo are kind of scarce. Both are nice pieces.

Last edited:
As a bit of an aside, Armi San Paola in Brescia in that era has a lot of resemblance to the Pietta with metric threads but the bolt is Uberti like. The Pietta NMA I picked up a bit ago has the same metric cones and the front sight is held on by a metric screw (have not checked the ASP for the rest but am guessing - need to check and confirm that).

The pistol in the red lined case is a 1963 dated .44 caliber 1860 Army (rebated cylinder) made for Replica Arms in El Paso, Texas and made by ASM, Uberti, or Pietta. ASM supplied a lot of the early pistols. Leonard Allen owned Replica Arms at that time (1962-65). Replica Arms was the first company to import a model 1847 Walker reproduction (1962) which was made by ASM.

Replica Arms was bought and moved to Marietta, Georgia in 1965.

The pistol in the Navy Arms box is a 1978 dated .44 caliber 1858 New Model Army made for Navy Arms in Ridgefield, New Jersey and made by Uberti or Pietta. Val Forgett owned Navy Arms. Interesting thing on this pistol is it has the Replica Arms company logo on the box and left side of the barrel next to the Caliber .44. That means it is a transitional pistol from when Val Forget bought Replica Arms (1973/74) and moved it from Marietta, Georgia to Ridgefield, New Jersey. Probably says Navy Arms Ridgefield, New Jersey on the top of the barrel but has the Replica Arms logo on the side. There are some that have the Replica Arms on the barrel with the Ridgefield, New Jersey address. These are kind of scarce. Even the ones with the Navy Arms on the barrel and Replica Arms logo are kind of scarce. Both are nice pieces.
I’d bet good money that 1860 was made either by Uberti or ASM. The loading lever is definitely NOT Pietta.

Back