• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol is top notch... not!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adolph Hitler used Ballistol for his flatulence-It can't all be bad?
Yes, he actually drank it with doctors orders. The same guy that gave him cocain for fatigue.

My can of Ballistol warns that it is harmful or fatal if swallowed.
What does CLP stand for? Hitler must have been one tough dude.

15+ years ,25 or so percussion revolvers and rifles and thousands of rounds down range with real black powder. All with Ballistol as the only cleaner, with Dawn and hot water, and lube. No rust and no fouled locks from the lube. And I’m going to take some YouTubers prattle over personal experience, NOT.

Metallic cartridge guns get Hoppes and what ever gun oil is on hand including 3in1.

This subjected has been beat en to death, to each there own.
This is one of those stupid threads that can't be beaten to death. It is dug up from it's grave about once a month so the exact same people can argue over it all over again. They could literally retype the same post they used last month. This will go on ad infinitum.

Can you explain to me how this could even remotely be possible? Suffice to say, I dont believe you.
How, I don't know. It happened. I lubed the bolt on my Winchester Model 70, next time I took it out the bolt was a tight as though it had been welded.I thought the gun was ruined. Took a lot of work to open the bolt, dissasemble it and clean thouroughly and get back to normal. Bad stuff, IMHO. Never used again.

This is one of those stupid threads that can't be beaten to death. It is dug up from it's grave about once a month so the exact same people can argue over it all over again. They could literally retype the same post they used last month. This will go on ad infinitum.
Name one general topic related to this forum that couldn’t be researched and found within these pages. It’s the nature of forums, isn’t it.
The new folks keep the forum alive and running. If one doesn’t like the program change the channel.

CLP means cleans, lubricate, protect. I bought some Ballistol and have only used it once as the smell of it is repugnant to me. If I knew someone close by that liked the stuff I'd give it to him. Cleaning unmentionables I use GI bore cleaner because I have a goodly supply of it. For BP guns I use water and plain old gun oil.

How, I don't know. It happened. I lubed the bolt on my Winchester Model 70, next time I took it out the bolt was a tight as though it had been welded.I thought the gun was ruined. Took a lot of work to open the bolt, dissasemble it and clean thouroughly and get back to normal. Bad stuff, IMHO. Never used again.

Something else was going on here, Ballistol is mineral oil with some additives and mineral oil is not going to lock up a rifle bolt any more than any other oil would.

I have used it for years on bolt guns, BPCR rifles, muzzleloaders etc. etc. never had a problem.

Some use 3in1 oil or transmission fluid or other stuff that I will not use and that's OK to each their own.

CLP means cleans, lubricate, protect. I bought some Ballistol and have only used it once as the smell of it is repugnant to me. If I knew someone close by that liked the stuff I'd give it to him. Cleaning unmentionables I use GI bore cleaner because I have a goodly supply of it. For BP guns I use water and plain old gun oil.

Thanks. I still call it oil. So much simpler.......

After cleaning, I wipe the metal parts with a very light coat of Ballistol. Once it dries they don't take fingermarks or hold dust the way a thin film of oil does. I am told CLP will do the same.

After reading about it being used as a field dressing during the war, I tried it on fingernail I almost ripped off doing something stupid. It healed up fine within a couple of days, didn't lose the nail and nothing turned black & blue. Just sayin'....

Lol myth. Besides... do you really pour powder down your barrel, fully aware that theres oil in it? Again, swabbing between shots is your powder fouling and the fact you're most likely using a poor patch lube to begin with.
There enough of us on this forum with many years of ML experience and experimentation to know what works for them and what doesn't and what is a myth and what isn't . Different strokes for different folks .

Back