• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol is top notch... not!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the mineral oil in Ballistol causes rust, then why are the three barrels of my smoke poles completely rust free? One having been stored for over 10 years without touching it? I live in a high humidity area.
Read the post again! He's joking about someone else claiming it causes rust!

If the mineral oil in Ballistol causes rust, then why are the three barrels of my smoke poles completely rust free? One having been stored for over 10 years without touching it? I live in a high humidity area.
I'm trying to imagine the chemical and physical process by which "Ballistol causes rust". Can't quite get there.

I use water, sometimes a Balistol / water mix, and WD-40 to clean my guns, I would use windex but I'm too cheap. Some have over twenty years of shooting in them and I have no problems. Really, no joke.
Robby

OK, I didn't read every post. Thank you for correcting me.
I’ve been shooting BP guns for over 55 years and have always used WD40 to soak my patches and could shoot as many times as I wanted without cleaning between shots. When finished I would clean with WD40 Nd a couple of days later would run an oil patch down . Never ever had any rust problems! Maybe I am just lucky😇

This is one of those stupid threads that can't be beaten to death. It is dug up from it's grave about once a month so the exact same people can argue over it all over again. They could literally retype the same post they used last month. This will go on ad infinitum.
I thought that’s part of the fun being here?

This is one of those stupid threads that can't be beaten to death. It is dug up from it's grave about once a month so the exact same people can argue over it all over again. They could literally retype the same post they used last month. This will go on ad infinitum.

I thought that’s part of the fun being here?
And, instead of just ignoring those stupid repetitive threads, other people will read them (again and again!) and then about a hundred postings into the thred, complain about what a waste of time it is. 😂😂😂 Resistance is futile.

Not sure what you mean by this. It doesn't appear to be water soluble (I just tested it), and the SDS says " no toxicity has been observed in water due to extremely low water solubility ". Plus, there are a lot of testimonials about its protective use in wet, and even salt water, environments. And it contains a wax -- which is not water soluble. Where is your information from about the solubility?
Oops A thousands pardons. Thought you were referring to the subject of the thread. Ballistol.
Age is eroding my reading comprehension me thinks.

I like that Ballistol is non toxic. it works for me. If I were putting something in long term storage, would maybe consider something else after reading thru all this.

I use it on my flintlocks, only because I don’t have a better way of cleaning a pinned barrel. I find it works well but the fumes cause me to cough and if I handle it without gloves I get sore, red cracked hands. Figure it cannot be good for me long term.

I store my guns with barricade and it does a good job and the fumes are more pleasant.

Might go back to inox when the ballistol spray can is empty.

Another possible advantage of using Ballistol for black powder Is that it is slightly alkaline. So when using it in a wash of water for cleaning, or straight for lube and protection, the alkaline should tend to neutralize the acid in black powder residue, minimizing corrosion, at least for the short term.

I use mineral oil in my lapidary saw. Never effects my skin. No smell that I can detect. So maybe it's the secret propriatary distillate that causes problems with skin and makes it smell rancid.
Any old oil works for me. Uh, er, cept bear oil. I had a smith put bear oil on trigger parts. Turns gummy in cold weather. Triggers feel mushy.

Latest posts

Back