• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballistol smells really bad. Everyone buys it once. Tries it once, finds it stinks up the house so bad that Ballistol is never opened again. Soiled cleaning patches must be bagged and removed from the house. 3 days later you throughly clean the gun again to remove that foul smelling oil to stop the house from stinking of Ballistol.
If your nose blind go for it.
When you get past 75, Ballistol is pretty much masked out by, well, other odors, not a problem…

Our local gun shop has a whole shelf of it. Wife has gotten used to the smell (which she associated with roadkill), but I've never had a problem with it. I use it on the black powder gun as between-shot wipe. But also use it on my leather jackets and other leather items. Works well.

Ballistol smells really bad. Everyone buys it once. Tries it once, finds it stinks up the house so bad that Ballistol is never opened again. Soiled cleaning patches must be bagged and removed from the house. 3 days later you throughly clean the gun again to remove that foul smelling oil to stop the house from stinking of Ballistol.
If your nose blind go for it.
I used ballistol once in the house and I had to have a hazardous waste crew come over then they covered the house with a giant plastic cover inflated it and went to work in their space suits. after 4 months of cleanup I was given the OK to move back in

You can use it to make Moose Milk (T/C no. 13) My local gun store has it on the shelf, but I can't find a percussion cap within 600 miles.
I used moose milk a few times but the female moose got tired of me milking her

Just a quick question. WHY does it seem you can’ buy Ballistol in the West? I’m in Nevada and everywhere I’ve been looks at me like I’m crazy when I ask for it. That includes sporting goods stores and automotive parts retailers.
I live in Nevada and don't have any trouble at all finding Ballistol, Butche's Bore Cleaner, or Barricade Oil; I just ask for it and give my Scheels CC # (I love those $25 gift cards) and it shows up at my door in about a week, or less, with a label on it that says:

Only once in a great while is it out of stock.

Ballistol cures fits, warts , freckles, coughs, colds, runny nose. Guaranteed not to rip, run or snag. Makes conception a wonder and child birth a pleasure. Yup that’s ballistol!!

Out west there’s a farm and ranch store called Bomgaars. They carry it but I don’t know how large their relm is. I like it. But I also like other products as well..👍🏻😂

Ballistol was created in 1904 as an all-purpose cleaner, disinfectant, paint thinner, enema-assister, coffee creamer, sexual lubricant, salad dressing, chemical deicer, and potential substitute for blood. However, when it was realized through numerous deaths, injuries and accidents that it did none of these things well, it was eventually altered slightly to become the mineral oil based chemical that is known and loved today.

It smells like puke, but it works good so I use it. Once it dries, it doesn't seem to have the odor anyway. I've tried it as a patch lube, but I prefer Hoppe's BP Cleaner and Lube. I use a 5:1 water:Ballistol mix for swabbing between shots and cleaning. I don't think it's particularly effective as a rust preventive. Barricade works, so I apply that after cleaning. Like others, I generally get it on Amazon, but since it's usually mixed with water at a ratio of 5:1 to 8:1, a can of it lasts a long time.

I grew up on a farm, spent 14 years in law enforcement, and then 28 years as a 7-12 teacher. Believe me, there are things that smell much worse than Ballistol!

I buy mine from sutlers at the N-SSA Nationals in Winchester VA. I use it 50/50, cut with water. The smell doesn't bother me at all. It only takes me a few wet patches to clean my muzzleloaders. I then run a patch with Bore Butter down the barrel and wipe down the exterior metal with BB. I store my MLs barrel down in the safe.

Haven't had any problem with my flinter. No rust either

Back