• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the UK we have a saying, ‘it’s a bit like Marmite ( a common yeast extract spread), you either love it or you hate it’
I know a fellow shooter who uses it for everything, cleaning, preserving, patch lube, you name it. I have a (virtually) unopened tin that I bought over 3 years ago, one day I’ll give it a proper try!
As regards the smell, it takes a lot to beat well used auto transmission fluid. I recall being soaked trying to drain a gearbox on a refuse truck, that’s a smell that never leaves you!

As regards the smell, it takes a lot to beat well used auto transmission fluid. I recall being soaked trying to drain a gearbox on a refuse truck, that’s a smell that never leaves you!
Old automatic transmission fluid smells repulsive, and I hate getting covered in it, but I consider burned up differential gear oil to be far worse, due to the high sulfur content. That gets into fried rotten eggs territory.

It is oddly comforting to know now that I am not the only one for whom the fumes of Ballistol causes coughing.
It makes me cough too, but only if I get a big whiff or spill it inside. However, unlike those who say they slop their cleaners and spill their powder when measuring out of the horn - I don't.
I use all cleaners sparingly: put the patch over the can, tip it to wet the patch, run it down the barrel, repeat if necessary.
Only once have I tipped a can over, it the smell was not all that bad but it was strong. The only other cleaner I have spilled was Butch's Bore solvent - THAT WAS STRONG! Sucked the oxygen right out of the air!

But I have worked with all kinds of cleaners and solvents; none of them would want to spill on your clothes and walk around all day.

Cleaning is tis time to Slow Down, use liquids sparingly, your trying to clean the gun not room. Connect with your firearm.
Same with pouring from the horn into the measure; no need to spill unless someone bumps you...then you give them a dirty look and say "Tha's Once!"

I use Ballistol on occasion, but I have been working through a gallon of WSO (water soluble oil) for many years. I pump it through from the nipple with the jag several times and then finish with a fresh batch. Works great. The water leaves, and the oil remains.

It makes me cough too, but only if I get a big whiff or spill it inside. However, unlike those who say they slop their cleaners and spill their powder when measuring out of the horn - I don't.
I use all cleaners sparingly: put the patch over the can, tip it to wet the patch, run it down the barrel, repeat if necessary.
Only once have I tipped a can over, it the smell was not all that bad but it was strong. The only other cleaner I have spilled was Butch's Bore solvent - THAT WAS STRONG! Sucked the oxygen right out of the air!

But I have worked with all kinds of cleaners and solvents; none of them would want to spill on your clothes and walk around all day.

Cleaning is tis time to Slow Down, use liquids sparingly, your trying to clean the gun not room. Connect with your firearm.
Same with pouring from the horn into the measure; no need to spill unless someone bumps you...then you give them a dirty look and say "Tha's Once!"
This is good!

Back