• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After much research I finally obtained a can of Ballistol. Never used this product before but many ML folks seem to like it. So my question is, how do you folks use Ballistol when cleaning your muzzleloaders?

I use water with a bit of dish soap for cleaning. I use a mix of 1 part water soluble oil (could be Ballistol) to 7 parts of pater for patch lube at the range. After cleaning with water and soap, then either rubbing alcohol or WD40 to displace any remaining water, I wipe the bore with a Ballistol soaked patch. I finish with a rust inhibitor that dries to a film such as Barricade or Boeshield.

I use water with a bit of dish soap for cleaning. I use a mix of 1 part water soluble oil (could be Ballistol) to 7 parts of pater for patch lube at the range. After cleaning with water and soap, then either rubbing alcohol or WD40 to displace any remaining water, I wipe the bore with a Ballistol soaked patch. I finish with a rust inhibitor that dries to a film such as Barricade or Boeshield.
Yes, as you said, I had a brain seize earlier, I clean my BPCR guns with Ballistol and water and my ML with water and a drop of Dawn dish soap.

Ballistol to oil and lube, if setting aside for long term a mixture of Ballistol and RIG mixed together is my go to.

I clean with soap and water. I rinse with ballistol and water to prevent flash rust when oven drying the gun and use it full strength as a rust preventative. Also use it on patches. I like the product, but honestly it smells like vomit to me...yuk!

Great at preventing rust!
Yes, it is. At a cost. Their website suggests I use it on garden implements. That would be pricey. A large metal tub of coarse sand/fine gravel doused with used motor oil takes care of spades, shovels, forks, hoes and the like.
WD40 followed by 3in1 does the small tools.
Ballistol is great but not inexpensive.

Latest posts

Back