• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol as a patch lube.................

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While cleaning one of my ML's yesterday I was using Ballistol, which I use after a good cleaning with soap and water. Afterwards, I was reading on the back of the can and read this again. I had read this before but wasn't sure about it, nor interested at the time.

"Excellent Patch Lube".

I know some folks has posted they use Ballistol as a patch lube. However, most of the things I have read states they also mix it with water. Thus my rational for this post.

I only use what I hunt with. I'm not a target shooter. Sometimes I leave my ML's loaded for a few days during season(s). Whatever I use must remain as is for longer durations. I do not think patches that have water on them is a good idea for longer times in the barrel.

Has anyone ever used straight Ballistol as a patch lube? If so, what were the results?

Last edited:
Ballistol will stay "wet" for a while. Of course there is the Dutch Shultz method of letting patches soaked in ballistol dry out before using them. Supposed to be very accurate but requires swabbing between shots. Might work for you as a hunting patch.

While cleaning one of my ML's yesterday I was using Ballistol, which I use after a good cleaning with soap and water. Afterwards, I was reading on the back of the can and read this again. I had read this before but wasn't sure about it, nor interested at the time.

"Excellent Patch Lube".

I know some folks has posted they use Ballistol as a patch lube. However, most of the things I have read states they also mix it with water. Thus my rational for this post.

I only use what I hunt with. I'm not a target shooter. Sometimes I leave my ML's loaded for a few days during season(s). Whatever I use must remain as is for longer durations. I do not think patches that have water on them is a good idea for longer times in the barrel.

Has anyone ever used straight Ballistol as a patch lube? If so, what were the results?
I use ballistol and water for patches in both my 32's. I soak them in the mixture for several hours, to overnight. Then lay them on a dollar store cookie sheet to dry. Whatever I don't cut up into squares and put in my patch tin, I leave in strips and keep them in a ziplock sammich bag. I've used them as old as

"Excellent Patch Lube".

I use it for patch lube mixed with water. Works great.

Has anyone ever used straight Ballistol as a patch lube?
Yes.
If so, what were the results?
Not good.
But then theres that part that your not interested in,,
Can't fix that. You've already made up your mind. Your not a target shooter, and you only hunt.
I'm confused. Target shooting has to do with the gun as a tool. Hunting has to do with the individual and his tools.
As a sportsmen, I don't undertand how your topic issues are seperate from each other?
If you don't want your gun able to shoot target, then what do you want while you hunt?
Sell the rifle, buy a shotgun,(?)

Last edited:
I have tried Ballistol for a patch lube, also olive oil and other stuff.

Ballistol and olive oil does not work for me, admittedly I only usually try stuff like that for one range session and if it does not work better than a spit patch I discard it.

My personal belief is you need to have something a little thinner like a Ballistol and water mixture, or good old spit.

I tried the Dutch Shultz method and that did not work for me either.

Are you counting made into moose milk? I sometimes use moose milk as patch lube and it works fine. Though frankly, you can't beat spit for being cost effective.

"Excellent Patch Lube".

Something weird happened when I originally responded (operator error I'm sure), what didn't show up was I use pyrodex P in my Crockett and CVA Varminter, and I get more shots off before needing to swab the barrel. I miss more squirrels than I hit 😉

I make 'moose milk' with ballistol and water, then carry it in a small spray bottle to the range and mist each patch before loading....

"Excellent Patch Lube".

Etipp, Just finished our MT Traditional ML season. I used the Ballistol/moose milk formula discussed earlier on in other posts through this season. Did not have severe cold, down to maybe 20 degrees, dry, but it seemed to work fine. I did load a card (28 guage) over the powder as I left the charge in for several days. The rifle killed 3 deer over a span of 5 days. The last one requiring several reloads in the field. All worked well as far as the lube goes. Just discharged the rifle (.54 cal.) to clean it after being loaded for 4 days. Hit dead on at 100yds. Plan to continue using it. I have not tried straight ballistol, but as long as it is not totally saturated/dripping, should work OK. I was watching the barrel interior as the rifle was reloaded without cleaning during the week. I saw no signs of rust developing, felt nice and smooth loading and during the final cleaning.

Back