• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Gibbs

40 Cal
Reaction score
Just a quick question. WHY does it seem you can’ buy Ballistol in the West? I’m in Nevada and everywhere I’ve been looks at me like I’m crazy when I ask for it. That includes sporting goods stores and automotive parts retailers.

Just a quick question. WHY does it seem you can’ buy Ballistol in the West?
I have no problem ordering it online from Amazon in both the aerosol format (which my local Scheel's also stocks on shelf) and in the "straight" canned format, which is a whole lot more convenient if you're making "moose milk" with it.

I have never seen it or heard of it until I joined this forum. Can someone please tell me why Everyone likes it so much.

I have never seen it or heard of it until I joined this forum. Can someone please tell me why Everyone likes it so much.
Not everyone just some. And yes I have some but dont think it is any better than some other brands that I have

Actually, Hickock45 of YouTube gun channel fame (one of the first and most beloved by all firearms YouTubers) is a big fan of Ballistol, so it's rather surprising for a gun person to not have heard of it. Nevertheless, it's used especially by black powder shooters because it's very effective against black powder residue, whereas your typical assortment of smokeless powder firearm cleaners and oils are not.

Ballistol was invented in 1904 and was intended to be used as a gun oil, leather dressing and even used on wounds.

Mixed with water it can be used for wiping the bore and as a patch lube. The water dissolves the black powder fouling while the oil protects the bore.

There have probably been better products invented in the last 100 years for individual purposes but as an all around gun/outdoor product it still works great.

AND! it has a pleasant black licorice smell! (That will get some people spinning!)

WOW! Thank you everyone for sharing where I may find it. Seems ordering is easiest. I don’t know why but I figured I could walk into a store and just purchase it.

Now, with that being said, jeeesh! C’mon folks! Didn’t wanna start a war. I don’ t care what you use to clean yer firearms. Jus’ clean the damn things. Dang.

I have seen many folks use it. I never have. All I’ve used and was readily available is made by Hoppes. I just figured I’d like to try it is all.

I have seen many folks use it. I never have. All I’ve used and was readily available is made by Hoppes. I just figured I’d like to try it is all.
I tried it and liked it! I still have and use a variety of other potions and concoctions on all my toys, but Ballistol seems to fit the ML stuff well.

I use moose milk for swabbing the bore & occasionally for patching in the field. I've never had a problem with it on wood or metal finishes, so that's a plus.

I got a 2-for-1 can deal online (been so long I don't remember where; don't think it was Amazon, but may have been) quite a while ago. It came with a trigger squirt-bottle screw-on top. Very handy! Still got plenty left.

Back